PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
As someone who came to audio adulthood in the 1970s I have always been a fan of the cassette. Compact and reusable, they allowed me to record the music that I loved in the order that I wanted. My first deck was a Sony with Dolby B noise-reduction, and its audio quality was good. Somehow, though, it got away from me. I replaced it with a workman-like Akai machine that was OK, but not a shining star. It's belts finally deteriorated, and I could not find replacements.

The solution to this problem was obvious: I needed a direct-drive deck, but which one? After much research and searching, I found it: a used Yamaha K-2000. Mine is all black (like the one shown below) and came equipped with removable rack-mounting brackets. The eBay Seller advertised that it worked; however, upon arrival the hubs would turn for a second or two, and then the transport would disengage. No rewind. No fast-forward. To his credit, the Seller refunded the bulk of the purchase price, and allowed me to keep the deck.

After nearly eight-hours of disassembly, diagnosis, repair, and reassembly, I got the deck working last night, and all that I can say is WOW! For a machine that is more than 40-years old (this model was manufactured from 1982 to 1985) it sounds great. I'm looking forward to revisiting some old favorite tapes, and recording some new ones.

1713134516908.png

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I knew there were some of you out there haha. I never could stand the cassette. I just did a cassette transfer this past week and was reminded all about that format.

Enjoy your revisit! I must have about eight Tascam 322 machines sitting in my work storage.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
As someone who came to audio adulthood in the 1970s I have always been a fan of the cassette. Compact and reusable, they allowed me to record the music that I loved in the order that I wanted. My first deck was a Sony with Dolby B noise-reduction, and its audio quality was good. Somehow, though, it got away from me. I replaced it with a workman-like Akai machine that was OK, but not a shining star. It's belts finally deteriorated, and I could not find replacements.

The solution to this problem was obvious: I needed a direct-drive deck, but which one? After much research and searching, I found it: a used Yamaha K-2000. Mine is all black (like the one shown below) and came equipped with removable rack-mounting brackets. The eBay Seller advertised that it worked; however, upon arrival the hubs would turn for a second or two, and then the transport would disengage. No rewind. No fast-forward. To his credit, the Seller refunded the bulk of the purchase price, and allowed me to keep the deck.

After nearly eight-hours of disassembly, diagnosis, repair, and reassembly, I got the deck working last night, and all that I can say is WOW! For a machine that is more than 40-years old (this model was manufactured from 1982 to 1985) it sounds great. I'm looking forward to revisiting some old favorite tapes, and recording some new ones.

View attachment 303337
I have a collection that I’m getting ready to sell for our neighbor. It was her husbands (who was a friend of mine) collection. If you’re interested I can send you more information once I start going through it. I’ll probably try to sell it as a lot as I don’t see them being worth much.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It seems really ironic to get a deck you were told was working but it wasn't and then after a lot of work you got to work brilliantly. Congrats to you!!

Oh, and while we are at it... what a pussy generation we've become with our music when the largest speakers are all under one foot in size. Sure, sure, people will say that technology has made it so that smaller speakers sound better. But, they don't move the air like those giant Kenwoods used to. I remember the bass would hit you in the chest. You could actually feel the music move the air. Now, the bass is usually some false vibration, as if we just wanted to "hear" the bass. In the old days the bass would karate kick you in the groin.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have two cassette decks, a Technics twin deck and a Denon single deck but they don't get used anymore.

Last year when I removed the decks from my Hi-Fi rack I gathered up a load of cassette tapes that I had and bundled them into two carrier bags and put them out in the rubbish!

Days later I mentioned this to a pal and he couldn't believe I did that. He told me to look on Ebay and see what cassette tapes sell for and when I did I kicked myself several times over :rolleyes:

Most were top of the line TDK/Memorex etc. Thankfully I still have a hundred or so on a shelf so I might just hang on to those.

Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
NAD Deck.jpg

A few years back, a family friend asked me to help him with a research project. In the 70's, he had recorded several hours of interviews with some guy that was very well known in the tiny, obscure, siloed slice of academia that he used to work in. His tapes were the only recorded interview that survived the guy. The recordings were really poor, a stereo Sony Walkman with built-in mic, sounding like it might have been in the same room with the guy. Since my Walkman Pro had long since given up the ghost, I bought a used NAD deck off eBay, cleaned the heads, demag'd them, and digitized everything. It was my first time doing digital audio (i used to produce soundscapes and other non-narrative audio programming for a local college station, all analog). So kewl. So easy to clean up those tapes without going through a stack of analog filters! No razor blades! Almost as soon as I finished the last tape, and before I could transfer MY old tapes, the deck died.

Last edited:
I also miss mixed tapes. Today, kids think that a mixed tape is just a playlist with whole songs on it. But, if you had a good twin cassette rig, you could overlay two different tracks, melding two songs, add bits of dialog taped from the radio, or commercials, or you could find books on LP and splice in bits of that, making cool soundscapes or messages declaring your love to some special girl. Sometimes you could include whole songs, but mostly they were to send an audio message. You might be able to do with digitally, but it would require special programs, and would lose a bit of that cut and paste feel that the original mixed tapes of the 80's had. IMO

Reactions: keith929

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I don't know.
Like digital photography, I am happy to see the process get out of the way.

Back when, I was quite adept at analog 16mm film, stills and audio. While I enjoyed mastering the craft, and being able to do something quite well that most people couldn't do at all, the complexity and cost of the process always got in the way of what what I was really trying to do. I suppose that if you love tinkering with gear more than you do producing content, then the old analog systems were fantastic. Truth be told, I make better pictures today than I ever did, in no small part because the process has become so much more transparent.

My parents worked in a hospital lab their entire adult lives. They, too would wax poetic about the old, analog lab instruments with great wistfulness. I had to remind my dad about the panicked phone calls in the wee hours of the morning because the overnight techs couldn't get the controls on some lumbering chunk of analog opto-electronics to come out right. "Yes", my father would concede,"But that was good overtime, and that's what kept me employed."

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I don't know.
Like digital photography, I am happy to see the process get out of the way.
Any format that just has sunk time, I find a nuisance. I’m glad there’s people that like them, more power to those folks.

I keep these 3 formats accessible and I maybe transfer 1 of these formats per year but the time sink in fast forward/reverse/etc is literally just wasted time due to technology of the era.

IMG_2860.jpeg

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Any format that just has sunk time, I find a nuisance. I’m glad there’s people that like them, more power to those folks.

I keep these 3 formats accessible and I maybe transfer 1 of these formats per year but the time sink in fast forward/reverse/etc is literally just wasted time due to technology of the era.

View attachment 303450
I have one of those tascam 302s as well. They’re pretty great decks.

Reactions: fireground_piper

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
The best cassette deck I ever owned was a Nakamichi RX-505. It was an amazing deck that had so many unusual features that worked so well. I had it for about 10 years then sold it in 1999, and haven't missed it at all. But seeing what people are paying for them now I wish I had kept it because I could have sold it now for 3 times as much as what I sold it for then. I never found cassettes to be a high quality or long lasting sound source compared to LPs and CDs. Just my opinion, but if you enjoy them good for you!

Reactions: trudger and jpberg