PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I got this years ago, when the apartment across got rented by a couple who favoured stinky cooking:

Mine is blue, though.

Thankfully, those guys lasted less than 6 months and I haven't used the lamp ever since. Still have most of the oil bottle.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So, does the bottle do anything different from just being a bottle to hold the fragrance? Just wondering. If not, you might look into antique snuff and opium bottles from China on Ebay. They are beautiful bottles. I know a few people who collect them exclusively.
Yes they have a wick that goes down into the alcohol and a charcoal piece on top ..
You could most likely just use the wick/charcoal on some other type of bottle, but if the glass was heat sensitive you risk it bursting and causing a huge 91% alcohol driven inferno.

Yes they have a wick that goes down into the alcohol and a charcoal piece on top ..
You could most likely just use the wick/charcoal on some other type of bottle, but if the glass was heat sensitive you risk it bursting and causing a huge 91% alcohol driven inferno.
If it is alcohol, then the glass would just be fine, because of the way alcohol burns. I think I was thinking of those old opium and snuff bottles because these look like them.

So, these aren't like those things with sticks in them that the scent evaporates off? These you actually light on fire?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So, does the bottle do anything different from just being a bottle to hold the fragrance? Just wondering. If not, you might look into antique snuff and opium bottles from China on Ebay. They are beautiful bottles. I know a few people who collect them exclusively.
or Chinese medicine bottles. Which is technically the broader category both snuff and opium bottles fall under. It is amazing how many of those things are still out there in amazing shape and at relatively reasonable prices. I've seen a few really great collections.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
We’ve use these with a neutral scent just to rid the house of smells. They work well.

We burned them a lot when my wife got COVID to purify the air - they were developed for hospitals. Don’t know if it worked well, but none of the rest of us got sick.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've been making my own oil for years. I used to get my essential oils from CVS. Don't get fragrance oils, they won't work. I get some ready made lamp oils on line from Courtney's Candles. Huge selection and very fair prices. In fact their fragrance oils are sometimes too strong for me so I dilute them with 91% alcohol so they go even further.

Status
Not open for further replies.