PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the play of textures of the bamboo shank and the rustication, and the colored stem is a crowning touch. That's an especially tactile pipe, a joy to hold I'd say. I have one bamboo pipe I treasure, a straight Dublin with bamboo shank, I bought in the last hour of a TAPS pipe show at the N.C. Fairgrounds from Bob Hayes, the late great award winning pipe carver. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I thought I was hallucinating. I'm sorry to say, I was so amazed I didn't thank him enough, though I did. I'd admired his work at previous shows, so I guess he wanted me to be an owner. I got home and sort of stared at the pipe, like maybe it would disappear.

Reactions: mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I like the play of textures of the bamboo shank and the rustication, and the colored stem is a crowning touch. That's an especially tactile pipe, a joy to hold I'd say. I have one bamboo pipe I treasure, a straight Dublin with bamboo shank, I bought in the last hour of a TAPS pipe show at the N.C. Fairgrounds from Bob Hayes, the late great award winning pipe carver. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I thought I was hallucinating. I'm sorry to say, I was so amazed I didn't thank him enough, though I did. I'd admired his work at previous shows, so I guess he wanted me to be an owner. I got home and sort of stared at the pipe, like maybe it would disappear.
It is indeed a joy to hold. The texture doesn't really come through in the photos as the ridges and troughs from the sandblast are quite close apart and are hard to make out in the photo. But they undulate nicely and feel very nice in the hand.

Your bamboo Dublin sounds wonderful!