PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jack is back. I have been after one of his pipes for well over 5 years. His reputation was such that his pipes were hrd to get and rarely showed up on the estate market. I was talking to Neill Archer over at another site and he told me about Jack making pipes again. I immediatey got in touch with Jack and 4 days layer I am smoking it as I type. I am breaking it in with 2012 Rotary Navy Cut. The pipe is a Brandy and a perfect large group 4 and weighs a perfect 44 grams, perfect for clenching with a great stem.

If you don't know Jack Howell, he is in the same league as Rad Davis,Bruce Weaver, any top American artisan. His prices right now are really inexpensive considering what everyone else who is not as good is charging. I was shocked when he quoted me.

The pipe is smoking by itself, the draw is perfect, it smokes cool and dry and came with a naked bowl. Do your selves a favor and contact Jack. I happen to really enjoy his shaping and his penchant for letting a pipe look like a pipe.

Thanks Jack, the pipe is a winner. One other thing, you need to work on those pictures buddy, they are in need of some work.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I couldn't agree more Harris. Jack is a first class pipe carver, and a first class human being. I probably own more of his pipes than any other artisan working today.

By the way, I don't think he ever really went anywhere. I've gotten pipes from him off and on for years. The key was always to get on his radar for a commission to be made during his winter break from the PSO. Now, of course, everyone has more free time on their hands and he's doing spec work as well commissions.

Jul 13, 2020
Aw, shucks, Harris, thank you, and everyone else, for your kind words. Yes, my photos suck. Once I mused aloud to Neill Roan that I should improve my camera, or my lighting, or something, and he said, “No, your grainy photos with the oversaturated background are your trademark at this point.” And maybe it’s some insurance against buyers opening the box and being disappointed.

Mr. Guss is correct; with the exception of unicorn pipes, I took care of commissions all along, but as I had little time to make them I didn’t try to be visible.

I don’t know the rules here yet so I won’t post a link, but every Wednesday morning I put up a new pipe and a new blog post on my website. Exclusive for you guys, the word this week is “bulldog.”

Jack

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
the word this week is “bulldog.”

Funny coincidence. This week the safe word at my house is also bulldog. In return for what is essentially an unlimited shoe budget years ago my wife agreed that the word each week would be a different pipe shape. There have been the occasional problems, of course; inadvertently saying liverpool when you meant lovat, or canadian when you meant lumberman. And of course there are the tedious double entendres involving saddle stems and group number. But by and large it's worked out pretty well.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for all the nice comments. The first smoke was amazing, dry as a bone, cool, it smoked itself and the stem was just awesome.
I am not waiting around for Wednesday as I never know what day of the week it is. I will keep the commission line going as Jack is looking at the next pipe I have requested. It could be the toughest in his storied career. lol Bright Pink or Bright Purple?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Whoever wants a pipe from Jack will have to wait a week or so as I have commissioned him to make me a seven day set. The next one should be here tomorrow I hope.

Dear Mr. Harris

Less tha a minute ago, I wired Jack ten million dollars on the single condition he never made another pipe again.

Your turn.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Dear Mr. Harris

Less tha a minute ago, I wired Jack ten million dollars on the single condition he never made another pipe again.

Your turn.

I fail to see why this should come out of George’s pocket. If the gummint can pay farmers not to grow potatoes it should certainly be able to pay carvers not to make pipes.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Jack is back. I have been after one of his pipes for well over 5 years. His reputation was such that his pipes were hrd to get and rarely showed up on the estate market. I was talking to Neill Archer over at another site and he told me about Jack making pipes again. I immediatey got in touch with Jack and 4 days layer I am smoking it as I type. I am breaking it in with 2012 Rotary Navy Cut. The pipe is a Brandy and a perfect large group 4 and weighs a perfect 44 grams, perfect for clenching with a great stem.

If you don't know Jack Howell, he is in the same league as Rad Davis,Bruce Weaver, any top American artisan. His prices right now are really inexpensive considering what everyone else who is not as good is charging. I was shocked when he quoted me.

The pipe is smoking by itself, the draw is perfect, it smokes cool and dry and came with a naked bowl. Do your selves a favor and contact Jack. I happen to really enjoy his shaping and his penchant for letting a pipe look like a pipe.

Thanks Jack, the pipe is a winner. One other thing, you need to work on those pictures buddy, they are in need of some work.
Excellent!! Well done Harris!!

Status
Not open for further replies.