PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bombba 1

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
Everyone,if you haven't already pick up brebbia bent Dublin and Peterson Irish harp bent brandy pipes from smoking pipes.com. Just purchased and am very impressed with them. A pipe retailer in my area said I cannot do better than a Peterson and he was right. These are must haves in my opinion and under $150.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I have six or eight Petersons and have found them excellent. Somehow I missed the period when their quality control seemed shaky. Mine have been work horses. I don't have systems pipes, and I have only one P-lip, but the ones I have smoke well.

I "met" Brebbia when they were in a strange place with their exports to the U.S., lots of swerves in the shanks and high prices for odd pipes. Others on Forums recommend them unquestioningly. I do have a good Brebbia pipe tool.

For shear value for the buck, I like Ropp, Genod, Rossi, and Kaywoodie that still makes a good pipe despite its fall from grace as THE premium pipe during the 1950's, with Dunhill a distant second fiddle, believe it or not. That's when both Kaywoodie and Dunhill, though expensive, were still within easy reach of the casual first-time pipe smoker on payday.

Reactions: LeafErikson and BCF

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@bombba 1 Welcome to the forum! :)

Not sure if you are a new, or veteran pipe smoker, but there is a massive sized pipe world out there, Factory & Artisan.

Peterson certainly has a name and respect, but, can’t do better, not sure what that was implying in relation towards, because there are a lot of good inexpensive pipes out there.

Try smoking out of a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe and a Markus Fohr Old German Clay pipe for comparison.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

bombba 1

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
I think I have six or eight Petersons and have found them excellent. Somehow I missed the period when their quality control seemed shaky. Mine have been work horses. I don't have systems pipes, and I have only one P-lip, but the ones I have smoke well.

I "met" Brebbia when they were in a strange place with their exports to the U.S., lots of swerves in the shanks and high prices for odd pipes. Others on Forums recommend them unquestioningly. I do have a good Brebbia pipe tool.

For shear value for the buck, I like Ropp, Genod, Rossi, and Kaywoodie that still makes a good pipe despite its fall from grace as THE premium pipe during the 1950's, with Dunhill a distant second fiddle, believe it or not. That's when both Kaywoodie and Dunhill, though expensive, were still within easy reach of the casual first-time pipe smoker on payday.
Have my eye on a genod bent brandy now. $100 is a deal in my opinion. Chamber is deeper than I like but the shape is great .

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BCF

bombba 1

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
@bombba 1 Welcome to the forum! :)

Not sure if you are a new, or veteran pipe smoker, but there is a massive sized pipe world out there, Factory & Artisan.

Peterson certainly has a name and respect, but, can’t do better, not sure what that was implying in relation towards, because there are a lot of good inexpensive pipes out there.

Try smoking out of a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe and a Markus Fohr Old German Clay pipe for comparison.

Enjoy! :)
New to pipe smoking. Have three in my collection already since August of '22. Just purchased a chacom and will be arriving Tues. Afternoon. I do research to see what's out there and what the brands reputation is on the market. A 12 pipe collection is my goal. One pipe every hour for 12 hrs. of smoking during the day.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Welcome from AZ.
Sounds like you’re working in a nice collection there.
I picked up the habit in Nov 22 when my father pre-inherited me 10 pipes, all from the sixties/early seventies. They’d been set aside for close to 50yrs, and getting them in shape got me hooked on estates.
His tastes were mainly Danes, and I’ve caught the mid 1900’s American bug (and a taste for sepiolite), and a handful of cobs for work/truck pipes.
I joined this forum primarily to get info on fixing up his pipes, but the awesome folks here inspired me to become an obsessive/impulsive pipe and tobacco junkie!
Lots of good folks, and something for all ranges of tastes here-hang on, it’s a fun ride!

bombba 1

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
Welcome from AZ.
Sounds like you’re working in a nice collection there.
I picked up the habit in Nov 22 when my father pre-inherited me 10 pipes, all from the sixties/early seventies. They’d been set aside for close to 50yrs, and getting them in shape got me hooked on estates.
His tastes were mainly Danes, and I’ve caught the mid 1900’s American bug (and a taste for sepiolite), and a handful of cobs for work/truck pipes.
I joined this forum primarily to get info on fixing up his pipes, but the awesome folks here inspired me to become an obsessive/impulsive pipe and tobacco junkie!
Lots of good folks, and something for all ranges of tastes here-hang on, it’s a fun ride!
Estate pipe would be appealing if someone's mouth had not been on the pipes. There is no such thing in estates. I would like to own a Dunhill or Ashton and estate's would be the only way I could afford those pipes. Dunhill and Ashton would give me bragging rights.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
We all like different things. When it come to briars, I'll take a high quality Italian made every time. Castello, Caminetto, Mastro, Ascorti, Sea Jacopo, etc. "To each his own said the old lady as she kissed the cow." puffy

bombba 1

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
We all like different things. When it come to briars, I'll take a high quality Italian made every time. Castello, Caminetto, Mastro, Ascorti, Sea Jacopo, etc. "To each his own said the old lady as she kissed the cow." puffy
How many of these brands are $400 or less. Have my eye on an Ashton Smooth bent brandy now. The shape and finish are incredible and it's only 386.00 . Sale priced as always.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Estate pipe would be appealing if someone's mouth had not been on the pipes. There is no such thing in estates. I would like to own a Dunhill or Ashton and estate's would be the only way I could afford those pipes. Dunhill and Ashton would give me bragging rights.
This is not entirely true. “Estate” just means previously owned. You can find estate pipes that are unsmoked/NOS (New Old Stock).

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
A pipe retailer in my area said I cannot do better than a Peterson and he was right.
While I think Peterson makes a nice pipe, I've owned several. One was a terrible smoker, so I moved it along about a year after acquiring it. Like many factory companies (ie Savinelli, Stanwell, Peterson, etc.) you'll find great smokers down to terrible smokers. If I'm putting my money towards a factory pipe I've had the most success with Savinelli, but that's just my opinion.

As for "cannot do better" I would say you cannot do better than a great smoking meerschaum pipe. To me a good meerschaum pipe is the best pipe you can own. Again, that's my opinion.

Good luck with your pipe journey. Happy smokes!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Estate pipe would be appealing if someone's mouth had not been on the pipes. There is no such thing in estates.
NOS (New Old Stock) are estate pipes that have not been smoked.
Either in someone's collection who has not gotten around to smoking them or leftover tobacconist's (unsold) stock

Are you in the habit of bringing your own cutlery or glasses/cups to restaurants when you eat out ?

I spend far more time and elbow grease cleaning up my estates than any restaurant or cafe would spend on their cutlery or glassware.

Just saying.