PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Got a new corn cob today. Nice, simple, nothing fancy. My boss actually picked it up for me, he is a piper too. In the photo, I've not yet smoked it. But this evening I loaded it up with McClelland 5100 Redcake. It tasted like the first time I smoked Redcake. Now I think that's because it's a brand new cob, or is that what cobs do in a general sort of way? I hear people talking about cobs as being a good way to test out a new baccy, is this why?
What ever it is, it's a pretty good smoke.
IMG163.jpg

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Good looking pipe. I use cobbs for a final decision on tobacco flavoring. Flavors I cant quite put my finger on seem to shout sometimes in a cobb.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I have 4 cobs, and they are all stellar smokers. They are good for just about any blend, but nothing burns a Burley better than a cob.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Properly taken care of, cobs smoke every great, and help bring out the true taste of any blend. Check out my Cob Primer to get the most from your bent Washington/Legend.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My understanding is that unlike briars, cobs and meerschaums, will not retain or affect the taste of the tobacco. So you also do not have to be concerned with smoking different blends or types in them (aros, english, VA). Whereas many pipe smokers will designate briars for only one category, or sometimes even only one specific blend. But everyone has different views on this...ultimately it's personal taste I guess.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
markw4mms said: I have 4 cobs, and they are all stellar smokers. They are good for just about any blend, but nothing burns a Burley better than a cob.
What would be a good quality burley blend to try? I've never really smoked any, my experience with the Sutliff Great Outdoors doesn't count. Couldn't smoke that at all.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I have a cob that got ghosted by Half&Half. Smoke anything different in it; the casing of H&H waves back at you. Can't explain it. No biggie; they now enjoy a monogamous marraige.
I like the transparent stems instead of black ones that come with some model cobs. Over time, they turn a handsome dark amber.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
There’s a lot of love for cobs in these forums, and that’s great. But let’s not get carried away.
“My understanding is that unlike briars, cobs and meerschaums, will not retain or affect the taste of the tobacco.” This may be true about meerschaums, but it is not true about cobs. In fact, I believe that cobs are MORE porous than briar, meaning they’re MORE likely to retain flavors and odors than briar.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
there are days i pack my cob with load after load of different tobaccos, from aros to english with nothing more than a shake out of any moisture between bowls. all the tobacco shows its true self to me as i do it.
i tell you what, my briars will not take that kind of wear.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I hear people talking about cobs as being a good way to test out a new baccy, is this why?
The reason cobs are a great way to test out new blends is because of their cost.
It only takes a few dollars and BAM, you've got a brand new never before smoked pipe. :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@bigvan: Thanks for the input...very interesting. I haven't smoked my cobs in a long time...since acquiring a number of briars. But it's always seemed that the consensus was that cobs supposedly shared those characteristics with meers. I really can't say either way based on personal experience. I think cobs are especially good for starting out, but I don't think they smoke as well as my briars or meer. But that's just my opinion...I know others would probably disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.