PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Merton

I am not much of a meerschaum fan, i have a couple of older pipes and an AKB smooth saddle stem billiard about the size of a castello 10. However, while i have heard of coloring bowls, i don't really know how they work and whether it makes any difference...

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
Anything sher holmes is a winner in my books. The Cherrywood stuffed in it looks pretty funny. I'm assuming the calabash thing is joke?

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
The pipe is a Paykoc Meer. I was told it represents the Hound of Baskerville. The upper bowl was made from a bit of Cherry.

View attachment 3769
If you have a bowl made of gourd, then you have the ultimate bastardization of a reverse calabash...
A corn cob coloring bowl tho ?

I believe they were designed to trap smoke so it can condense within the chamber and stummel. It's supposed to color the entire pipe more evenly instead of the usual brown stummel->yellow bowl progression but they don't seem too common nowadays.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
What is the point of a coloring bowl?
as explained by dusk above
It allows the bowl of the pipe to act as a condensing chamber and for the oils to colour the pipe more evenly

another practice i have read about is putting a button in the heel of the meer pipe .giving a space below it for condensed juices to sit and migrate to the bowl

Last edited:

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
as explained by dusk above
It allows the bowl of the pipe to act as a condensing chamber and for the oils to colour the pipe more evenly
Ah, I didn't see his post since I had not refreshed my page when I wrote mine. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. A very interesting concept indeed.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
How has it affected the coloring of the meer?
The Meer is new, so I am starting from ground zero right now I have 13 bowls in it.

There has been a person that tried to use an MM Hardwood Ozark mountain as a coloring bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a strange looking set-up, but if it smokes okay, and eventually gives you especially good color on the Meer, please show us the good results by-and-by. It's a bit of a contraption for me. With a pipe, I like a settled look and feeling, but that may just be age. "You are old, Father Williams, the young man said ...."

Status
Not open for further replies.