PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Don't know if anyone remebers about be writing about my local Tinderbox store closing down awhile back. Well last week they finally decided to close their doors for good. Sad but good news, depending how you see it. The owner decided to put everything at 75 - 85 percent off for 3 days. I managed to get out of work early and head out there and buy Padron, Cohiba, and Ghurka cigars for $2 a piece, pipe cleaner packs for less than .50cents, zipppo pipe lighters for less than $10, pipe tobacco for a $1 an ounce! Sunday though was the day I'll never forget, the owner just wanted to get rid of the rest, so he had some Ascorti pipes left and I saw this Ascorti Peppino Commermorative Edition for $65, I yelled sold! But before I could pay for it, he offered me pipe tobacco for .50 cents and ounce! "DROP A FEW MORE ON THE PIPE AND i'LL BUY SOME TOBACCO" I said, He needed to get that stuff out of the store. This past weekend was the best time I ever spent at Tindebox! Saturday I bought 32oz of tobacco for about $38, then Sunday 32ozs for $20 for bucks. Picked of some Black Russian Blend and Sherlocks Blend. Tragic they closed their doors but I'm happy for all the items they were selling at rock bottom prices!
20130206_172405.jpg

20130206_172439.jpg

20130206_172420.jpg

20130206_172431.jpg

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
Business it tough all over. Good for you glad you could get some great stuff. That's a great looking pipe.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Thanks everyone!

@rothnh luckily I had about 12 16oz mason jars just waiting for me at home and 4 2oz jars needing refills!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
That should be a great pipe for you! I love Ascortis. They are terrifically well-made and finished mid-grade pipes, and I don't think they get the wide recognition they deserve. (For example, I'd pick an Ascorti over a Savinelli any day.)
And if you like Ascortis, you may want to check out older Caminettos, as well as Castellos and Radices. (In case you don't know, Ascorti and Radice both worked at the original Castello factory. When they left to start their own company -- Caminetto -- they took many Castello employees with them. Although the companies have continued to change/grow since then -- this was back in the mid-1970s -- I think all of the brands rely on high-quality briar, an attention to detail, and a commitment to craftsmanship.)
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
That should be a great pipe for you! I love Ascortis. They are terrifically well-made and finished mid-grade pipes, and I don't think they get the wide recognition they deserve. (For example, I'd pick an Ascorti over a Savinelli any day.)
And if you like Ascortis, you may want to check out older Caminettos, as well as Castellos and Radices. (In case you don't know, Ascorti and Radice both worked at the original Castello factory. When they left to start their own company -- Caminetto -- they took many Castello employees with them. Although the companies have continued to change/grow since then -- this was back in the mid-1970s -- I think all of the brands rely on high-quality briar, an attention to detail, and a commitment to craftsmanship.)
And, yes, that's a Radice Underwood in my photo on the left.
Bob

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Thanks Bob! Yes my next pipe (hopefully) that I've been looking at is a Caminetto Pipe, hoping next month I'll be able to get one if the price is right. I haven't smoked the Ascorti yet but I plan to this weekend.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is a great looking Ascorti in one of my favorite shapes. That should be a flake smoking machine. Congrats in a fantastic deal, 65 bucks is a steal.
Bob is 100% correct about this company and the history of the guys involved. I have two 1970's Caminetto's and they are fantastic smokers. Many people are unaware of their history and they can be found on Ebay and the on line estate dealers for relatively short money for the quality of pipe you get.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
That is a beautiful pipe at an amazing price. I have not seen that brand of pipe before, but will be keeping my eyes open for one now. You can never ever have too many pipes. LOL!!!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Very sad the shop closed but I expect that will be the case for others as well
On the other hand one mans loss is another's gain
Enjoy
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.