PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Both Dave and Dan know a whole lot more about Castello, than I do. Is it a shape 65, or 63? Depends on the vintage. Current shape 63 is a 1/2 to 3/4 bent apple. Years about the shape 63 was a shape 65 with more of a rounded bowl. The 65 was a very billiard bowl and the 66 was a 65 with a diamond shank. Castello shapes have evolved over the decades and since each one is hand made, shape variations occur. Who really cares what shape number it is. It's a really nice example of a Castello.

Mike
This was listed as a bent billiard

Reactions: dunnyboy
Oct 7, 2016
Both Dave and Dan know a whole lot more about Castello, than I do. Is it a shape 65, or 63? Depends on the vintage. Current shape 63 is a 1/2 to 3/4 bent apple. Years about the shape 63 was a shape 65 with more of a rounded bowl. The 65 was a very billiard bowl and the 66 was a 65 with a diamond shank. Castello shapes have evolved over the decades and since each one is hand made, shape variations occur. Who really cares what shape number it is. It's a really nice example of a Castello.

Mike
Can somebody please translate the above from the Canadian?

I have seen very few 63's so stamped, and they were unmistakably apples. I am frankly at a loss as to why there are so relatively few 63's out there.

For a Castello rookie, the OP grabbed a very nice pipe.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Can somebody please translate the above from the Canadian?

I have seen very few 63's so stamped, and they were unmistakably apples. I am frankly at a loss as to why there are so relatively few 63's out there.

For a Castello rookie, the OP grabbed a very nice pipe.
I love the pipe, it’s a bent billiard so that likely rules out 63. What I’m confused about is if they don’t use numbers anymore, why are we trying to figure out the numbers of the new pipes? Do we know they still use the numbering internally for production and just stopped labeling the pipes?

Reactions: dunnyboy
Oct 7, 2016
I love the pipe, it’s a bent billiard so that likely rules out 63. What I’m confused about is if they don’t use numbers anymore, why are we trying to figure out the numbers of the new pipes? Do we know they still use the numbering internally for production and just stopped labeling the pipes?
Why they quit using shape numbers might have multiple reasons, but the most commonly accepted one is that since they quit using copy lathes many years ago, it just didn't make sense to keep using shape numbers,which they did for at least a couple of decades.

Retailers and collectors use the old shape numbers as shorthand. If someone says they are looking for a 12, I know they mean a Liverpool,but not all 12's are alike. But that was true when they did use shape numbers on what were hand turned bowls.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Sorry Dan, I thought you were bilingual..... here is a Castello stamped shape 63 .....

Very different than a post 2007 made shape 63. Similar to a shape 65 ..yes, and no.

Enjoy

Mike

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker
Oct 7, 2016
Sorry Dan, I thought you were bilingual..... here is a Castello stamped shape 63 .....

Very different than a post 2007 made shape 63. Similar to a shape 65 ..yes, and no.

Enjoy

Mike
That's an interesting pipe. If it were larger I would be happy to add it to my collection of 65`s, regardless of Coppo's opinion. Anybody can have a bad day :)