PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
Well it finally turned up. I ordered a lovely meer from an ebay seller in Turkey and after about 6 weeks it still hadn't arrived so he sent me a second one which got to Australia in about a week. I offered to pay for the original if it turns up but the seller refused and said its a gift if it does arrive. Nice fella.
The pipe itself is very well made although the stem is slightly off centre. A pedant would probably find it a worry but not me. Plus it was only $90USD delivered so it wasn't too pricey.

Wasted no time in filling it up with one of the few locally available blends and having a smoke. I'm a meerschaum convert folks, they really do smoke cooler than a briar. A bit of a funny smell to start but that will probably disappear with time. What did surprise me was the size of the thing, holds plenty of tobacco and is a nice handful. I'm pretty happy with it and now I'm thinking about a Peterson Sherlock Holmes in meer as well.
meer.jpg

meer2.jpg

keith40

Lurker
Apr 25, 2011
Yep, it's official. I'm jealous. :clap:
Should be October when i will be able to begin financing my empire of pipes. bwahahaha :worship: :puffy:

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Lovely meer. Sometimes accidents show you the metal of a pipe maker. Awesome story thanks for sharing.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
That's a good looking IMP that should provide years of smoking pleasure. This brand is a good value purchase in the Meerschaum world that combines an often Danish style flair with a hand cut bit that includes a Briar like tenon, and high grade Turkish Block. They color well and smoke well. Here's something to consider...

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-meerschaum-pipe-experience/
The Peterson Sherlock Holmes Meerschaum series Pipes are high grade Turkish Block and a little difficult to acquire, as there is just not a lot of them around. The older African Block Petersons are good smokers and mostly available as estate Pipes these days since the Laxey mines shut down in '06, which also affected production by Kiko, Pioneer and a host of other Pipe brands.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Wow... purrtyful.
I was about to purchase a meerschaum but was dissuaded by an Uncle Arthur Pipe. He custom crafted a wooden stem church warden for me, that I just couldn't refuse. I my goodness it smokes wonderfully!! In fact (though I'm likely mistaken), I think it was my pipe that got him started with his whole big LOTR themed pipes.
But eventually I'll get back to saving up for a good meer... Everything about them is wonderful. I'm just too scared to toss out that much cash on one right now, cause I'm afraid I'd drop it! 8O

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
Beautiful pipe! Could you send a link to his site? Being a good guy should not go without reward I reckon. Curved stem is the next step for me in my meerschaum odyssey. It looks like it fits in the hand nicely!
Nathaniel: I, and I suspect many others, only smoke my meerschaum at home, where there is carpeted floors... When not in use, I keep mine in its case as well. The dropping thing is still a little scary concerning the investment, but risk is what makes us truly live! Also, you can start on some really inexpensive turkish made pipes that you can find on ebay. They aren't necessarily any more durable and may be of a lower quality, but it's a good place to start and to learn in my opinion. My first meer was a tiny little straight stem from turkey. It cost 20 bucks.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Nice Meer! Just an fyi, you should try not to handle the bowl while smoking it. The oils from your hands will transfer to the meerschaum and cause it to color unevenly. When it is not being smoked and has cooled off it is ok to handle.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for the words guys, its a nice smoking pipe. Will get used a lot. Andrewtpoland the sellers name is meerfan87 on ebay. Here is a link with his latest offerings.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/meerfan87/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562
Sounds like he a great seller being let down by the Turkish postal system. He was very quick to send me another pipe by registered mail and I'd be happy to buy another one.
It sure does fill the hand nicely although I am being careful not to touch it with dirty hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.