PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Excerpt from "Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service"
Pipe Smokers

Death rates for current pipe smokers were little if at all higher than for

non-smokers, even with men smoking 10 or more pipefuls per day and with

men who had smoked pipes for more than 30 years.

Ex-pipe smokers, on the other hand, showed higher death rates than both

non-smokers and current smokers in four out of five studies.
The epidemiological

studies on excigar and ex-pipe smokers are inadequate to

explain this puzzling phenomenon. According to Hammond and Horn (10)

and Dom (61 the explanation may be that a substantial number of cigar

and pipe smokers stop smoking because of illness."
Quitting pipe smoking may be potentially more harmful!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
both windows rolled up and the heater on full blast. I despised smoking, or cigarettes at least, until I was able to understand it wasn't really the cigarettes or smoking that I despised, but rather the inconsiderate tendencies of my parents
Yup! Sounds exactly like my Childhood. 2 Parents in the front chainsmoking cigs. and 4 of us kids in the back. In a Chevette, no less.

jeff394

Lurker
Mar 7, 2013
Is it just me, or are all teenagers these days little mini-activists? I have two myself, and all I hear from them is about this cause or that cause, equal rights, blah blah blah.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I work in a high school, I deal with it all the time.
"going vegan is good for you!"
"there's enough food on the planet to feed its population without the need for meat!"
"nobody should eat gluten, because everyone is affected by it in some small way!"
"no one should consume dairy! everybody's sensitive in some way." (this one rings true for me, and think about it: we are the only animals on earth to actively seek out other animals' milk. all the others stick to it within species)
something to think about. of course, it could have to do with me being halfway between a teenager and 30, still got some of those tendencies. Time to go have a morning smoke

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
oh also, I heard in some state about they're trying to make it illegal to smoke in a car with someone who is under 18. maybe WA?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My mother-in-law tells the story about how The Redhead, when 7 years old, stole her cartons of cigarettes and buried them in her sandbox. Took the M-I-L a while before she finally caught her doing it --- there were 4 cartons of cigarettes buried there.
I grew up during the late 60s- 70s and this was when the anti-smoking folks were really gearing up to dissuade kids from smoking. I was taught about the dangers of cigarette smoking while still in elementary school and I used to worry about my parents dying an early death from cigarettes. I even hid my mom's cigarettes one time.
Shows how early they try to indoctrinate you. However that didn't stop me from having my first cigarette at age 10.
Overall, the anti-smoking groups have done a lot of good and I think it's great that there are fewer teens smoking cigarettes today (when I was a teen my H.S. had a smoking area for students and it was very crowded all the time).
But it seems to be human nature to go to extremes - there's seems to be no middle ground when it comes to these activist groups. And once money figures into it, all is lost - pretty soon what started out good becomes bad.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Who the hell is Justin Bieber?
Oh, I too complained about my dad smoking Chesterfields in the car with the windows rolled up.... but just once. He saw to that. :lol:

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Yup! Sounds exactly like my Childhood. 2 Parents in the front chainsmoking cigs. and 4 of us kids in the back. In a Chevette, no less
LMFAO! My mom had a 'Vette' it was two tone brown with black rocker panels lol. Also a Pontiac 'woody' wagon with the power rear window in the tailgate. My dad smoked but quit when I was a baby, mom still smokes, and I remember very well asking her to put the window down a crack to get the smell out cause it would sting my nose. She did and it helped. Those are fond childhood memories

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I'll admit I did the vegetarian thing for awhile. I did it for 6 months. I quit cold turkey. I didn't even eat chicken broth. I did it mostly because I was eating a big bowl of meaty chili while watching a PETA video, but also because a girl I was interested in was vegetarian. The vidoe was the main reason. It really made me lose my appetite.

Status
Not open for further replies.