PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
I give up all music except classical every Lent...not easy with all this Audiophile gear lying around. Giving up alcohol goes without saying...too easy.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I know we should gladly sacrifice for lent and my wife convinced me to give up french fries and soft drinks.

Unfortunately because she was doing the same plus she was giving up sweets she pressed me to give up something else. She dictated 3 choices. Sweets, Whiskey, or Pipe.

This was difficult because I enjoy a sweet (Ghirardelli chocolate) and a dram of whisky/whiskey every evening. So I gave up the pipe.

Arrrrgggggg!!!

I am surviving but need another idea for next year. Any suggestions?

Maybe you should just let your wife pick. And make sure you say, "Thank you, ma'am," after she does.

• Haha
Reactions: AroEnglish

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Long ago a Priest said lots of people give up stuff for Lent, but it’s better to do good works for Lent. Good advice I Garronte !
I may have known him if he was also a military chaplain. He suggested that people should give up Hate, Selfishness and Lying for Lent.

In the past, I have given up things like cigars, vodka and arguing with the wife.

Reactions: Old_Newby

PipeMarc

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
South East
Giving up spirits for lent is my go to every year. Something I actually look forward to 🤣. It provides a reset. Even as someone who wouldn’t consider themselves a heavy drinker ( wife might disagree there ) it provides time for clarity and to be present. I find some of my best pipe adventures are during this time as well.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Giving up spirits for lent is my go to every year. Something I actually look forward to 🤣. It provides a reset. Even as someone who wouldn’t consider themselves a heavy drinker ( wife might disagree there ) it provides time for clarity and to be present. I find some of my best pipe adventures are during this time as well.
We can end the thread now. The pope has spoken! 😁

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Growing up Jewish, I always found Lent to be mysterious. Many of my friends were Catholic, and I did what I could to both support and taunt them. One year, an unsuspecting neighborhood kid asked me what I sacrificed, and I told him “I gave up Lent for Lent”. I could hear the wheels spinning in his head, but I don’t think that passed muster with his parents.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Next year give up pipes. Choose one burner to see you through the season. For me, lent is less about denial and more about embracing a posture of gratitude.
I actually really like this suggestion. Even better: choose just one pipe and one blend for all of Lent. This year I gave up pipe smoking, but allow for a Sunday pipe (since it is the Lord’s Day). Next year I’ll try your method but I have a feeling my wife will not think this is terribly sacrificial.

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
Strict Eastern thought would say that the sensual pleasure of drinking is holding you back spiritually, and if you're serious you should give up alcohol all-together. I don't even get to test this, as I gave it up all together. not for spiritual reasons, but because when I drink-even just one or two--I typically want a 1000. And then of course it's off to the liquor store for a 1.75, or two LOL.

Last edited:

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I know we should gladly sacrifice for lent and my wife convinced me to give up french fries and soft drinks.

Unfortunately because she was doing the same plus she was giving up sweets she pressed me to give up something else. She dictated 3 choices. Sweets, Whiskey, or Pipe.

This was difficult because I enjoy a sweet (Ghirardelli chocolate) and a dram of whisky/whiskey every evening. So I gave up the pipe.

Arrrrgggggg!!!

I am surviving but need another idea for next year. Any suggestions?
I'm a typical Irish Catholic so it's just no Red Meat, sweets, and Alcohol every lent, lots of Fish, Chicken, bitter tea, and sobriety.

Reactions: Old_Newby

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I actually really like this suggestion. Even better: choose just one pipe and one blend for all of Lent. This year I gave up pipe smoking, but allow for a Sunday pipe (since it is the Lord’s Day). Next year I’ll try your method but I have a feeling my wife will not think this is terribly sacrificial.
The irony is not lost on me, that what we are doing “as sacrifice” is just what our forebears, and many codgers still with us, just do.