PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pete, when you become a PipesMagazine.com Preferred Member, you'll get an

Official PipesMagazine.com Pipe Rack as part of your Preferred Membership Packet.

DSCN0563.jpg

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Petes,
That looks like a nice and functional rack. I am looking to build a smaller one to keep in my shop so I have somewhere to hold my pipes while I am doing resto or cleaning work. By any chance do you have any specs for it or did you just wing it? I really like the open architecture since I mainly have bents and they can be a pain with other racks.
If you have specs could you post or PM me? If not maybe you could walk me through it if you would be so kind.
Thanks,
Dan

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@yazamitaz, I just winged it man! Materials needed are; (1) 1" dowel rod, (2) 3/8x3/8 square rods, (1) 1x3, (1) 1x6, (1) 1x10, some wood screws, a 1" holes saw, a drill and a saw. I just measured in 1" from each end and 3/8" from the edge and spaced my holes 1-1/2" apart from center. Just use your own dimensions for number of pipes you want it to hold.
I'm sure it would work better with a harder wood like oak.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would have preferred if you had used the finest burl wood with felt padding to cushion your babies. I also think enclosing it in tinted glass with crown moldings made from 24 kt gold would have looked a tad nicer.
Seriously though it is a great looking rack that is something I could not dream of making even if someone had a gun to my head. Congrats on your new rack.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Funny enough I have everything you mentioned except the dowels :) I assume the 1x10 is the base, 1x6 is the second tier and 1x3 the third. The 3/8 x 3/8 are the supports for the 1x6 and the 1" dowel supports the 1x3. If I am wrong just PM me, didn't mean to hijack your thread but am a fan of what you did. I also assume a little countersinking and some wood glue to hold the dowels and the rods.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Good Job, and as mentioned above it fits perfectly in your cabinet.

hammerhorror

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
Not a thing wrong with that rack other than wanting a bit o' stain. Might just swipe the design for my own.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Looks very good . I bet if you stained it to match your cabinet no one Would ever guess it wasn't a store bought . Truly nice job.

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
The pipe rack looks ideal for the cabinet. I'd say I am more intimidated by your collection of pipes and tobacco sir :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.