PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I have a large print of this up in my home office.

This is my great great grandad on my mom's side.
He looks to be in his 50s here but that's just hard living. He died when he was 42.
Loose clothes and slim tell the tale.
He grew up in Dark Fired Country.

image0 (3).jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have a large print of this up in my home office.

This is my great great grandad on my mom's side.
He looks to be in his 50s here but that's just hard living. He died when he was 42.
Loose clothes and slim tell the tale.
He grew up in Dark Fired Country.

View attachment 235542
he looks pretty cool but great great maybe extra great. Kidding love these kinds of pictures. Faces and demeanor can tell a big story. Thanks for the share.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
He seems to have been doing pretty well. That is a formidable team of mules, well cared for and fed. Mule teams were trained in tandem and were highly coordinated to working together. It was no small matter to get that cooperation going, I bet he was proud of them. His dog seems to be right on the job too, a sturdy farm collie.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
That is one kick-ass cool photo dude!

This is my great great grandad on my mom's side:

1690329710204.jpeg

He was also a horse man. He went to Texas and Arizona to buy horses and sold them back in Wisconsin. He was born in 1867 and died at 90 years old. My Mom never mentioned that he smoked a pipe, until I found this photo. It was only a few days before she passed that she had to confess that he did smoke a pipe. I would like to think that it was the reason he lived to 90.

Thanks for sharing your photo, I love these pictures.

-Doc

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That is one kick-ass cool photo dude!

This is my great great grandad on my mom's side:

View attachment 235622

He was also a horse man. He went to Texas and Arizona to buy horses and sold them back in Wisconsin. He was born in 1867 and died at 90 years old. My Mom never mentioned that he smoked a pipe, until I found this photo. It was only a few days before she passed that she had to confess that he did smoke a pipe. I would like to think that it was the reason he lived to 90.

Thanks for sharing your photo, I love these pictures.

-Doc
part of the reason I'd wager.

• Love
Reactions: Doctor Chopper

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
He seems to have been doing pretty well. That is a formidable team of mules, well cared for and fed. Mule teams were trained in tandem and were highly coordinated to working together. It was no small matter to get that cooperation going, I bet he was proud of them. His dog seems to be right on the job too, a sturdy farm collie.
That’s the real story of this photo. Having a tandem team of mules, set up like that was really something to be proud of.

Reactions: Oddball

SaxonX

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2021
Staffordshire Moorlands GB
This is my great grandfather born in 1875 England-he was recovering from pernicious anaemia (although it killed him shortly after) in Bournemouth on seaside holiday in the 1930s after a life as a butler and valet. I had this photo for years and only recently spotted that he was enjoying his pipe as he walked along the promenade......must have been an English high summer from his heavy coat 🤭

Attachments

• img006.jpeg
    img006.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 19