My Grandmother's Pipe!! (Pics & a story)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Good story about a wonderful lady, and a really neat little pipe. Thanks for sharing with us.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I finally got some spare time on the bench last weekend to clean up this lovely pipe from my grandmother.
It's a wonderful little pipe, and will be the perfect pipe to sample tobacco with on Club Nights. Barb was an incredibly practical woman, who liked things to work and also like things to be pretty. I know she'd be pleased to see her girl all cleaned up like this.
I hope you'll agree:

-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks guys. It was a pretty simple job. I topped the pipe with 320 grit, then sanded up to 1200 grit before staining with Fiebing's Dark Brown. The rest of the clean up was wheel-work on the buffer.
I think she cleaned up really nicely.
-- Pat

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
What a beautiful story about a strong and wonderful woman. Thanks for sharing your family history with us. My wife's name is Barbara and it seems that women with that name are cut from the same bolt of cloth.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Barb sounds like one incredible lady.

Let us know how the lovely pipe smokes.

Do you have any idea of what tobacco Barb would have smoked?

It would be interesting to know what tobacco blends were available for her at that time.

Great Story !!!!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Timely. I'll ask my dad, and see if he has any idea. My dad was an Amphora smoker back in his day behind the briar, it wouldn't surprise me to find that he and my grand-dad started Barb off on something similar.
-- Pat

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Thanks Pat. I can see Barb exploring several blends, as she sounds like a woman

who would decide on her own what tasted good.

Did she live in Ontario?

Just curious, wondering what Tobacconist if any were available where she lived.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Barb was a born and bred Hoosier. She lived in the great state of Indiana for her entire life; spending most of her life in Wabash. So I wouldn't know what tobacconists she would have had access to. She was, also, a lifelong smoker of Winstons. A pipe was a treat or a diversion for her. I have no idea how often she smoked this pipe, but given the condition of the button she didn't clench. Also, given the small amount of gunk in the airway, I'd say she was an occasional piper.

Status
Not open for further replies.