PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I have my great grandfather’s pipe stand and tobacco jar, but sadly nobody knows what happened to his pipes. I recall him smoking them and have pictures of him with his pipes, but they are long gone and there aren’t any living relatives that would have them (oh yes, I certainly asked to the point of being a pest, lol).

I fondly recall one favorite smaller pipe -and believe there’s a photo of me somewhere as a tot on his lap with a pipe in my mouth. It was at my grandfather’s farmhouse after he came to live with my grandfather but nobody remembers what became of that or any other pipes.

Ash, those pipes are just so damn cool to have. I’m benefiting from your find just from recalling my own great grandfather’s pipes even though they are long gone. I can’t even begin to imagine how pleased you must be!!!!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have my great grandfather’s pipe stand and tobacco jar, but sadly nobody knows what happened to his pipes. I recall him smoking them and have pictures of him with his pipes, but they are long gone and there aren’t any living relatives that would have them (oh yes, I certainly asked to the point of being a pest, lol).

I fondly recall one favorite smaller pipe -and believe there’s a photo of me somewhere as a tot on his lap with a pipe in my mouth. It was at my grandfather’s farmhouse after he came to live with my grandfather but nobody remembers what became of that or any other pipes.

Ash, those pipes are just so damn cool to have. I’m benefiting from your find just from recalling my own great grandfather’s pipes even though they are long gone. I can’t even begin to imagine how pleased you must be!!!!
Thank you. I’m sure I know exactly what kind of pain in the ass you were. Lol.

And it has evoked many memories. So far I have been able to wrangle a pipe pouch and two pipes that were rumored to be his (by an aunt) but these are absolutely his.

The aunt that gave me the pouch (which was half full of tobacco that I’ve managed to successfully rehydrate and smoke a small bowl on his birthday) wrote me an unbelievably negative letter on the dangers of smoking and how if I didn’t I’d day a horrible death. Funny thing about that. My grandfather lived a good life and passed away in 1986.

Her husband died at the age of 84 two years ago in a car accident. He smoked pipes for 50 years.

People sure are interesting.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
@ashdigger, the pipes are really coming along. I'm always blown away by how much gunk salt absorbs.

What are your plans for the meer? I know you are on a meer kick right now. Are you sending it out to get professionally done? (Whatever that means for a meer)
I’ve reemed the Meer and ran hot water through it to degunk it. Then I carefully, using a dull edge scraped the burned crap of the rim. The stem is synthetic so it got hot water and alcohol. I’m going to leave the external “grime and handling marks” on it. I’ll be smoking out of it today.

The pipes with get one more salt after the current one is dumped. My normal routine is three soaks. Then it’s warm water, q tips, pipe cleaner and elbow grease.

After the internals are done I’ll clean the exterior grime and a quick trip to the buffer. The stems with be hand wet sanded.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Happy for you!! I had my Grandfather's pipes, but my mom tossed them before I could come home on leave to collect them from the estate.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
I’ve reemed the Meer and ran hot water through it to degunk it. Then I carefully, using a dull edge scraped the burned crap of the rim. The stem is synthetic so it got hot water and alcohol. I’m going to leave the external “grime and handling marks” on it. I’ll be smoking out of it today.

The pipes with get one more salt after the current one is dumped. My normal routine is three soaks. Then it’s warm water, q tips, pipe cleaner and elbow grease.

After the internals are done I’ll clean the exterior grime and a quick trip to the buffer. The stems with be hand wet sanded.

So how did the meer smoke?? I must say, I'm pretty happy for you to have these treasures!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.