PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

S.A. DeVault

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2022
Southern Wisconsin
Well, I probably have no business in writing a review given that I'm still new and my limited experiences, so call this a review or just a personal recount, whatever makes you feel like I'm not being too big for my britches.
My wife requested I get another Aromatic blend a few weeks after patiently dealing with me smoking the Perique heavy Bayou Nights. I myself enjoy aromatics once in a while, so I agreed. I wanted something a bit more interesting than just Captain Black Royal, but didn't want to break the bank, so I headed towards my tobacconists jars of bulk tobaccos. What piqued my interested in Sutliff's Crème Brûlée was the comparison made to me with Molto Dolce, which my wife bought me around Christmastide last year. It was goopy, sweet yet complex, and I loved it.
I tried a bowl of Crème Brûlée as soon as I got home, in my Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman dedicated to aromatic blends. It as very sticky and wet, moist isn't a strong enough description. As you can expect, there was some issues keeping it lit. But the flavour, the beautiful flavour. If you have tried Molto Dolce, and enjoyed it, or if you enjoy custard sweets, I would, humbly, highly recommend this Sutliff offering. The flavour hits the caramelised sugar and vanilla notes of its namesake dish, the strength of the flavour and complexity tends to last through the smoke, not melding into a vague sweet plus ash that I've experienced with some other cheaper aromatics. I'm enjoying a bowl as I type this. I now pack my pipe the night before and then enjoy it the next evening after a meal, because it can well take the place of dessert, and the lighting issues are fixed with no loss of intensity of the flavour. I still tend to smoke too fast or hot at times, and despite being a very goopy aromatic, no tongue bite yet. Also, the room note is divine, and your Mrs. and anyone else around you will most likely appreciate it. Strength wise I would say it's around the same level as most aromatics, but not so weak as to leave you missing your dose of Vitamin N.
Bottom line: If you like aromatics, and especially if you have smoked and enjoyed Molto Dolce, I would encourage you to give this blend a try. If you do not care so much for aromatics, I would actively encourage you to not give this a try, this blend has all the things that pipers who don't prefer aros dislike.
Attached is a very poor picture, my apologies in advance to anyone reading and Sutliff:

Attachments

• Sutliff- Creme Brulee.jpeg
    Sutliff- Creme Brulee.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 16

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I see, pardon me for not doing more research. I noted the many similarities, the differences in the flavour is what I supposed kept me from coming to that conclusion on my own,
It's the difference between open air exposure of bulk versus being in a sealed tin. I also happen to be a big fan of it. Very good review! 👍

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
Great timing. I ordered this a week ago and just got it the other day. Like you, I loved it. I was surprised at how smooth it was. No bite. Never had a problem keeping it lit. The room note is outstanding. I originally ordered a 2 oz bag but after trying it a couple of times, I went back and ordered more. I'm gonna load up on this stuff and cram my suitcase with it for my trip back to Colombia. IMHO, the ultimate aromatic.

S.A. DeVault

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2022
Southern Wisconsin
Great timing. I ordered this a week ago and just got it the other day. Like you, I loved it. I was surprised at how smooth it was. No bite. Never had a problem keeping it lit. The room note is outstanding. I originally ordered a 2 oz bag but after trying it a couple of times, I went back and ordered more. I'm gonna load up on this stuff and cram my suitcase with it for my trip back to Colombia. IMHO, the ultimate aromatic.
I'm curious about the pipe culture in Colombia and other South American countries, one of my wife's closest girlfriends is from Colombia, and her father and I talk occasionally, he's a successful rancher. While I see, like most other western countries, pipes in old pictures, I can't seem to find much present day. We've thought about making a vacation and going to visit them, and aside from a couple of cigar focused shops in Bogotá, I haven't found much in the way of a place to get tobacco if I needed some while there

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
I'm curious about the pipe culture in Colombia and other South American countries, one of my wife's closest girlfriends is from Colombia, and her father and I talk occasionally, he's a successful rancher. While I see, like most other western countries, pipes in old pictures, I can't seem to find much present day. We've thought about making a vacation and going to visit them, and aside from a couple of cigar focused shops in Bogotá, I haven't found much in the way of a place to get tobacco if I needed some while there
You don't see many pipe smokers down here. Or smokers of any kind, at least I haven't. The most I've seen any kind of smoking is on the golf courses where they'll occasionally break out a cigar. I think it was more common years ago. Cartegena is really the center of cigar smoking down here. Don Ambros is really popular for habanos. I shop for my tobacco online with a mom and pop shop out of Bogota. The selection is not as good as it is here. Tins are very expensive but pouch tobacco like Captain Black is pretty much the same price.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
It's the bulk form of Molto Dolce. Many of their tinned offerings are sold in bulk under a different name.
I probably read this once upon a time and forgot it, but even if not, a good reminder and thanks. Had some Creme Brûlée in bulk a couple of years ago and it was good and until I opened a box from SP yesterday that had been sitting around, I'd forgotten I'd ordered a tin of Molto Dolce before Thanksgiving (when I'm under the weather, I see no point in opening boxes of stuff that can't be enjoyed, lol). Decided I was fit enough again to have a bowl at lunch. Didn't have much time so my cheat is to put some on a plate, put it in the oven, set it at 200 degrees F and when it dings that usually means a fairly wet tobacco is ready (the preheating is pretty gentle). It was and better than I recall Creme Brûlée, which may have more to do with changes in palate/taste in a couple of years.