PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jm44

Lurker
Aug 17, 2022
Today I used a tobacco pipe for the first time. It is my grandfather’s old Falcon pipe. I have ordered various accessories online but for now I just had the pipe, some pipe tobacco, a Bic lighter with an extended tip and some pipe cleaners (which I have not used yet).

Anyways, I filled the bowl with some tobacco and compressed it down with my finger. I filled it about halfway because I was on a lunch break and just wanted a relatively short session. I tried doing the initial charring puffs, and I found this a bit difficult because my instinct was to inhale into my lungs, and I did this initially which was harsh on my throat and palate.

It was also a bit windy so it was hard to get a good big flame out of the Bic. I miss the old days when you could smoke indoors! But most importantly, I found it difficult to move the flame around in a circle and take several puffs in immediate succession in order to sustain the combustion. This is because if I am only inhaling into my mouth, it seems it is only possible for me to take very brief, small inhalations and exhalations.

After the initial charring puffs, I used the extended tip of the Bic to gently compress the tobacco into the bowl. Then I tried smoking the main course, however the biggest difficulty was that I had to keep relighting the bowl. I was not able to get the tobacco to stay lit in the same way that a cigarette stays lit. I also tried to hold the pipe loosely between my teeth, however this was a bit difficult and I imagine it takes a bit of practice. I was sitting outside on a bench, and I was a bit worried that passersby thought I was smoking cannabis.

Anyways I would appreciate any tips regarding technique, etc. I want to keep pursuing this hobby which my grandfather and father once enjoyed. I also do not drink or do drugs so tobacco is my one simple pleasure. I have enjoyed vaping an e-cigarette due to its discreet nature and lack of a strong odour, however I miss smoking combustible cigarettes and I think that a tobacco pipe such as my Falcon would be a nice way to once again enjoy real tobacco in a nice gentlemanly way. Thank you for listening!

jm44

Lurker
Aug 17, 2022
Curious............ what pipe tobacco were you smoking? Some of it needs to be dried out quite a bit to smoke properly.
Welcome to the forum, lots of good info here!!
It was Erinmore Mixture by Scandinavian Tobacco Group. Just something I chose at random from the shop…haven’t researched different tobaccos yet!

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
First thing you'll learn here is that everyone has different ideas and opinions. Here's a couple of mine. As a beginner try Sir Walter Raleigh regular not aromatic and stay away from all aromatics for now. Also, a Falcon pipe is an unfortunate first choice. You never want the smoke to come in contact with metal as it causes condensation and that makes a blend smoke rougher. Good luck, hope it works for you. puffy

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Let's the tobacco dry up a bit. For the Erinmore, rub it out so it has an even consistency. Pack it loosely and evenly. (Think about the force of a dime if laid on top of the tobacco. Try to only use that much pressure).

The charring light sets the tone for the entire smoke. You want to hold the flame about an inch above the tobacco so that when you draw it towards, it only hit the top layer. Make sure the top layer of tobacco is good and burned. Tamp lightly and hit it with the flame again. This should get you going.
Don't puff like a locomotive - instead take longer, softer draws. You don't want a bright red cherry glowing - think a slow simmering burn. That will deliver the best flavor without causing too much heat.
Practice makes improvements!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
As a relative newcomer a couple of years ago, I think a Bic, a windy environment, maybe the pipe (I'm no expert on Falcons but defer to an expert above), some anxiety and anxiousness all contributed to what you experienced.

For me - the biggest lessons learned quickly (courtesy of this forum) were dry my tobacco well (and then drier, lol) and pack loosely.

Find a nice, secluded, wind protected spot (my first experiments were in my garage) - give yourself plenty of time (can't imagine trying to squeeze in my first pipe in the constraints of a lunch break at work), if in the garage put some good music on the car audio, sit back and relax and work it out. Maybe find a quality but inexpensive briar whether new or estate (lots of ideas to be found on here) as well. Set yourself up for success!

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Welcome aboard. There's a lot of knowledge here and I think we can help you. There is a definite learning curve to smoking a pipe. While it may seem simple, and it really is, it takes some time and patience to get to the point where filling, lighting and smoking a pipe is second nature.

I would first recommend drying your tobacco more than you think you need to. While it may seem dry enough, most of the time tobacco benefits from some extra dry time. Keep at it and you'll find what moisture level works for you.

Second, pack the bowl more loosely than you think you should. You can always tighten the draw as needed with your tamper, but untightening an over packed bowl is a little bit more tricky.

Third, smoke more slowly than you think you need to. Folks coming from the cigarette/cigar world seem to expect billowing clouds of smoke. This is really not the case with a pipe. With the pipe, it's more like sipping the smoke rather than big, huge draws. Actually, I get the most enjoyment from my pipe when there is very little smoke being produced.

And, it is okay to relight. This is normal. I rarely smoke a bowl of tobacco without several relights. This can be from me getting distracted or simply the tobacco went out. No big deal, just relight and continue on.

Just take your time and enjoy the process. If you have questions, post them up and we'll help anyway we can. If you take the time to learn the pipe and it's nuances, the rewards are great.

Jun 23, 2019
Welcome aboard. There's a lot of knowledge here and I think we can help you. There is a definite learning curve to smoking a pipe. While it may seem simple, and it really is, it takes some time and patience to get to the point where filling, lighting and smoking a pipe is second nature.

I would first recommend drying your tobacco more than you think you need to. While it may seem dry enough, most of the time tobacco benefits from some extra dry time. Keep at it and you'll find what moisture level works for you.

Second, pack the bowl more loosely than you think you should. You can always tighten the draw as needed with your tamper, but untightening an over packed bowl is a little bit more tricky.

Third, smoke more slowly than you think you need to. Folks coming from the cigarette/cigar world seem to expect billowing clouds of smoke. This is really not the case with a pipe. With the pipe, it's more like sipping the smoke rather than big, huge draws. Actually, I get the most enjoyment from my pipe when there is very little smoke being produced.

And, it is okay to relight. This is normal. I rarely smoke a bowl of tobacco without several relights. This can be from me getting distracted or simply the tobacco went out. No big deal, just relight and continue on.

Just take your time and enjoy the process. If you have questions, post them up and we'll help anyway we can. If you take the time to learn the pipe and it's nuances, the rewards are great.

"Dry the tobacco longer than you'd think, pack the tobacco lighter than you'd think, sip the tobacco (once lit) slower than you'd think."

Forgot who told me this now but it really helped me when I was beginning with pipes. Also, unlike cigars, pipe smoking comes with a considerable learning curb, you're probably not doing a lot wrong, just need practice to get everything down.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
All the above , and maybe buy a couple inexpensive corn cob pipes and upgrade to a nicer briar as you learn your technique. Remember to enjoy the experience and be patient with yourself .When you get it , you’ll be carrying on the tradition of your forefathers who just like you had to figure it out.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Don't give up.

Just about everything you described contributed to a sub-optimal environment (to put it gently) for your first smoking attempt. Sort of like your first swimming lesson in full tuxedo dress, or some similarly silly analogy.

Take the time to control your variables so that you can learn to master them properly.

Eventually you'll be able to fire up in the wind, or the rain, on a quick walk, any blend you like, for just a quick delight, and conquer any obstacle in your way.

It's more complicated than one initially thinks.
And then suddenly it's not complicated at all.

Enjoy the path and the learning along the way.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
In my almost 60 years as a pipe smoker who has know thousands of other pipe smokers, I would say the number one reason newbies give up the pipe is because they can't keep it lit. It's not like a cigar or cigarette. With a pipe you're fighting nature in that you're trying to make something burn from the top down instead of the bottom up. After all these years I still feel I have to relight more than I should, but on the other hand, after all these years I do it without even thinking. Hang in there, it does get better. puffy

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
My first pipe smoking experience was with one of my grandfather's pipes.
I still have them today and smoke them regularly.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Welcome to the wonderful world of pipe smoking. As stated above, it does take some time to get the hang of pipe smoking. I encourage you to keep at it because it is such an amazing hobby where you will find flavors you can only dream of now, you will learn that pipes smoking is often found time to contemplate life and finally you may very well find that often times the most relaxing part of your day will be with a pipe in your mouth.

Reactions: FLDRD

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Falcon is a good choice for a first pipe. Takes some time to get used to everything with a pipe. Including how to pack it. And as far as drawing even during lighting I say take a sip low pressure. You'll be able to draw longer then if you use more force. And it shouldn't take much to get the smoke moving.
my advice with packing is to take test drags. you should have almost no resistance when you draw on it. pack the pipe a little bit at a time until you get slightly more resistance then you would with the pipe empty.
All of that is just a suggestion for where to start from. Then tailor each bit to what makes you the happiest smoker. :). Also in my opinion drier is better with tobacco.

• Love
Reactions: TheWhale13