PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Here it is guys. Shape 410.

I wanted a billiard or Canadian. But when I saw that grain I just couldn’t resist.

Enough talk, pictures below and I’m firing up a bowl.

View attachment 162628View attachment 162629View attachment 162630
I’m a huge fan of Stanwell pipes, and own maybe a half dozen.

I bought every one slightly used, from a rich old man who was raised in a mansion and his stepfather was the wealthiest man in the county, at the time.

Lenard had the best of everything.

When he needed gun trading money he’d bring a Stanwell to the gun club and ask if I wanted it, and I always did.

Then I’d ask how much and paid what he said.

I think $50 was the most, for a brass band Stanwell new in the box. Usually it was $20 or $40.

Lenard liked round numbers.

His widow promises every time I see her at the post office to bring the rest of Lenard’s pipes by my office.

(No Dr. Grawbows, I’m sure.:) )

I love living in a small town.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I’m a huge fan of Stanwell pipes, and own maybe a half dozen.

I bought every one slightly used, from a rich old man who was raised in a mansion and his stepfather was the wealthiest man in the county, at the time.

Lenard had the best of everything.

When he needed gun trading money he’d bring a Stanwell to the gun club and ask if I wanted it, and I always did.

Then I’d ask how much and paid what he said.

I think $50 was the most, for a brass band Stanwell new in the box. Usually it was $20 or $40.

Lenard liked round numbers.

His widow promises every time I see her at the post office to bring the rest of Lenard’s pipes by my office.

(No Dr. Grawbows, I’m sure.:) )

I love living in a small town.
Oh how I miss a small town sometimes…

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nice lookin' pipe. IMO Stanwell is under-appreciated, I prefer them to Savinelli.
If I were to start another collection (which I ain't) of "factory" pipes, I would settle on Danish-era Stanwells.

Great design, wonderful grain, a lot of featherweights, very few quality issues (eg poor drilling), and affordability.

What's not to like ?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I own several Stanwell pipes as well, Those of the Danish era production which i prefer and few from Italian factories which I prefer over to Savinellis, I think design on Stanwell is more traditional and their pipes sturdy + stem work is very nice ,moreover, the draw on Stans is more open than on many other filterless pipes , in this very regard It's meaningless to compare Stanwell to Savinelli cuz the latter is drilled to accept 6mm

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I own several Stanwell pipes as well, Those of the Danish era production which i prefer and few from Italian factories which I prefer over to Savinellis, I think design on Stanwell is more traditional and their pipes sturdy + stem work is very nice ,moreover, the draw on Stans is more open than on many other filterless pipes , in this very regard It's meaningless to compare Stanwell to Savinelli cuz the latter is drilled to accept 6mm
100% right. I have some filterless pipes and they are way more tight regarding draw.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I’ve been drooling over the Stanwell pipes on the Danish Pipe shop estate section and just can’t decide.
Do it!
Is this a current (Italian) production Stanwell ?
Yes it is.
I'm not big on Danish designs but I'd make an exception for a Stanwell (or a Bari)! Beautiful pipe
I’m not either! But I found that straight Dublin to be quite “conventional” and old school. I’m not into those danish curves etc…

Stanwell has a lot of options in traditional shapes. Worth checking out.

Reactions: Nicolasylvain
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
My First Stanwell happened when I was only 20 or so.
A wonderflul shape 64 Royal Rouge ; a goodbye present from my colleagues.
It is still with me and it proves how sloppy I was then.
But I was over the moon with it and soon it will be in the refurbishment box.
The stem is entirely clogged up.

Reactions: Alex.Jr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is one beautiful Dublin. I never caught up with a Stanwell until they moved production to Italy. I haven't bought a Danish made pipe. So I was skeptical, but I have been entirely satisfied with my Italian-made Stans.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Does made in Denmark vs Danish design matter? I'm guessing the Danish design are the pipes made in Italy.
The Danish factory closed sometime back and production was moved to Italy.
So the only way you will get a Danish-made Stanwell is on the estate market.
NOS Danish Stanwells pop up from time to time, but tend to get snapped up quickly.

Stanwell has had a long history of commissioning designs from top Danish makers eg Sixten Ivarsson, Anne Julie, Jess Chonowitsch, Tom Eltang and Nanna Ivarsson amongst others.

Pipedia has good, albeit incomplete, information on the shape numbers and their designers