PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
I received my first Savinelli, a 626B (you can look it up) for Christmas and am slowly breaking it in ... It was purchased in Italy along with a couple of pouches of tobacco (Amphora Full and Borkum Riff Riff Bronze - but this is not about them, much) and I am currently in Spain and away from my pipes (in E TN) and a better selection of tobacco. Anyway, nice pipe.

I never looked at Italian pipes before, I don't know why. I can't say that I ever bought a pipe without ever holding it, but I have a few that were given as gifts. My big hands like something substantial to hold.

I would not consider the 626B (is the B for Blue?) a substantial pipe. But I like it. It is very light and easy to clench. I am smoking it with the insert, having never used a filter before, although one balsa and one charcoal filter are provided. I will probably get a few of the balsa filters just to try them ... Until I get back to the States, I am using the insert.

I chose the Borkum Riff to break in the pipe. Why? Because I have smoked it in the past and am familiar with it. There is no need to review the tobacco, it is what it is. It seemed a little dryer than I remember, but then again, I may be thinking of Captain Black. It is smokable directly from the pouch.

The bowl of the 626B is perhaps a 20-minute bowl (for me) with a loose pack, I am breaking in the pipe. So, I take my time. I have three bowls through it and am happy with the way it smokes (the tobacco needs to sit for a little longer than directly from the pouch) and it smokes all the way down. I would toss the dottle under normal circumstances, but breaking in the pipe means smoking it down to ash for a few bowls. And the pipe does that with one final light, one final light from where I would normally toss the remnants ...

Italians like family and countrymen, so there will be others joining this pipe in my currently small collection.

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
4th bowl finished. Still, a 20-minute pipe. Sort of a gravity-fed gentle encouragement of the ribbons into the bowl with pinky until the end when the thumb is used gently to form a rounded cap 1/4 inch below the top. One light to scorch the top, a gentle forming of the top, and a light to smoke with. All the way down past the 2/3rds point until there was a bit of an ash flavor. I would normally stop here but have to cure the bottom of the bowl. A gentle tamp, a light, and then down to the finish line. This time, I knocked out a little dottle with the ash. One pipe cleaner to dry out the pipe and let it rest for a while until I enjoy another bowl later this evening. I am impressed with the pipe ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure what you mean by Savinelli not being a substantial pipe. They are durable, long-lived, and many smoke as well as any. Folks with a lot of discretionary spending justifyi spending a few hundred USD or more on each pipe by proclaiming moderately priced pipes not much good. I have a few up-market pipes that I treasure, but some of the factory made work horse pipes smoke just as well. Trust me.

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
I'm not sure what you mean by Savinelli not being a substantial pipe. They are durable, long-lived, and many smoke as well as any. Folks with a lot of discretionary spending justifyi spending a few hundred USD or more on each pipe by proclaiming moderately priced pipes not much good. I have a few up-market pipes that I treasure, but some of the factory made work horse pipes smoke just as well. Trust me.
You do not understand me ... substantial ... of size ... heft ... physical proportions ...
The 626B, for me, is a smallish pipe. Very light. And I am finding that I actually like this ...
And not having any other Savinelli's in my collection to compare the 626B to, I do not know if a Savinelli is delicate by nature ...
I will say that it certainly smokes well ...

Reactions: Yadkin1765

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Being in the same boat as a lot of members here, I need another pipe as much as I need another hole in my head. Having said that, eyeballing new pipes is what I do and a Savinelli 626 has always seemed to be on my radar.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
The apple shape has always been my favorite and the 626 has just the right bend to make it comfortable to hold or clench. My only complaint with them is that the acrylic bit is a little to chunky for my taste.

Reactions: Ray Popp

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Congrats on the new Savinelli !
If you have large hands (I myself wear 2XL size gloves) - the Italian makers will Definitely be ones you want to check out.

Mac

Reactions: Ray Popp

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
Bowls 5 and 6 in the Savinelli 626B were smoked while meandering along the boardwalk today along the Costa Blanca ...

The pipe performed flawlessly ... in the breeze even ... once lit (I forgot how hard it is to light a pipe in the breeze) it smoked to the bottom of the bowl without a re-light ... even handed it off a couple of time to take pictures.

Once back at the casita, I ran a couple of pipe cleaners through the pipe and she is ready to go for another bowl later on this evening.

I will call this pipe broken-in ... though I will continue to carefully smoke it for the next half dozen or so bowls while it continues to build up cake.

As for Savinelli? Yes, I will add more of them to my small collection.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon