PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice big bowl with artful blast, and the nifty treatment on the stem keeps it from looking bowl-heavy.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship between you and your sandblasting equipment.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship between you and your sandblasting equipment.
I think you're right- can't wait to start experimenting on some interesting techniques I've got rolling around in my head....

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Awesome first blast and pipe Zack! The set-up seems to be spot on. Did you go with glass beads? What nozzle dimension did you use? Don't be a snob... Give it up ;)
Craig

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
@ Smokeybear- Thanks!
@Craig- It's gonna cost ya! Only using 170 grit glass beads on this one. I have some 270 coming in that I'll start using on the final blast - the nice thing about the big Scatblast cabinet is that I can change grit in about a minute with the dump gate on the bottom. Love the foot pedal- no fatigue and great control. Not sure about the nozzle diameter- it's steel- I'll be going to carbide with a hole rated for the max CFM I can push- about 16.1 at 90psi. I tried blasting samples from 80psi moving up at 10 psi increments and found that 120 seemed to give me good results. I think the key is to throw a lot of dry air and abrasive at it at high pressure. I also repeated the blast 5 times to try to define the areas as much as possible. Two coats of stain, then hit it on the buffer to knock the stain off the high points...Next blast will be using a combination of sandblasting and a couple of other mystery techniques to really take it deep and craggy.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
@rockymtnsmoker-Thanks for the comment!- I was pleasantly surprised to see someone already grab that one this afternoon...think I'll have to work on some variations of that design over the weekend...

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yeah Zach I priced out the system that Rad and others are using and that's waaayyyyy down the list for the shop :crying:

Is your dust collection working well? That micro dust is a bugger. Looking forward to your secret sauce 8)
Craig

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Gorgeous ring grain, beautiful stain, smooth top, could only be improved if it were in my hands.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Craig, $850 for the compressor-10%= $765. $450 for the Scatblast 850 cabinet on Craigslist ($1,500 new) $100 for the media. $85 for the hose and fittings...a total of $1,400 and that's it bruddah! From rumors I've heard, Rad is kicking out 24cfm at 90psi. This rig puts out 16.1cfm at 90psi. I'll never outgrow the cabinet- if I ever start producing 5 pipes a week, I'll upgrade the compressor...

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
It came out beautiful! As others have said the rim and the stem look fantastic. I love the shape as well. You did an amazing job.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Zach are you running 3 phase? Can't remember the model you have. Most seem to be running 5hp, 3 phase which would keep the power usage down. Yeah it's all about the CFM, Rad's doing (well will be back gunning soon I'm sure) those awesome blasts in 20 minutes. I'm sure skill/practice has much to do with that, but talk about a goal and result!
What and when is the next video coming? You know there's some money to be made there, especially if you let out some inside info. Yeah it may piss some people off, but it will come out anyways, you may as well get paid. 8)
Let's see the secret sauce ;)
Craig

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Craig, 220v- 30 amp that was running a dryer in the garage...6hp...More videos on the way...

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm in and old house that also has an old line run for an electric dryer in the garage, also plan on using that. One of the big issues in my shop is watching amp draws. Some of the nicer machines I want will just put too much strain on the old 100 amp box. Having a household full of electronics on 24/7 I'm surprised to be getting away with just some fluorescent flutters. I'll need to put in a 200 amp service as the machines are upgraded *sigh*
Need an emote for bleeding money ;)
Craig

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Craig,

You might try replacing the 30 amp breaker with a 50amp and running a sub-panel off that. In the subpanel, run a 30 amp for the compressor, 2- 20 amp breakers- 1 for the dust collector, 1 for the saw, lathe, and buffers, and 1-15amp for the lights. For a one man shop, it works. It probably won't meet code...
On 3 phase- I used to have a 10hp 3 phase motor that I used as a generator in my garage- hook up two legs of 220, and spin the motor to operating speed with a small motor- it would then run several 3 phase motors with no problem...BTW- anything I mention can be incredibly dangerous and most likely will never meet the code where you live...but what do you expect from a guy who built an XRay machine in his garage when he was 14...:)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Zach I"m chuckling as I write this, my oldest son took everything I had apart and by gosh he would put it back together, tinkering is in some people's blood, you made me remember his escapades, the worst thing when he was little was trying to find my tools, never scolded him, now he is am a part time gunsmith, knife maker, motorcycle builder, you name it he can do it, that's what Americans are about. Love your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.