PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2022
Welcome! Please capitalize all words in title except really short ones. Rule 9. -jpm

Hi folks! Wrongway Feldman here and this is my first post!
So, I'm new to pipe smoking and I have only one pipe. It's a Missouri Meerschaum, Country Gentleman.
I've only smoked one blend of Tobacco so far, Sutliff - Z92 Vanilla Custard.
I want to try some different aromatics. A friend said that I should buy more pipes if I'm going to be switching blends.
At this point I'm not 100% committed to staying as a pipe smoker so I really don't want to make the investment just yet. Just the same, I would like to try some other blends to help me make the decision to keep smoking or not.
So, for test purposes, is it OK to just clean the same pipe between blends?
Any opinions on the subject are welcome.
pipe.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Welcome!
It's fine, totally normal to clean your pipe after every smoke. Many folks do it, to varying degrees of fastidiousness.
Feel free to smoke whatever blends you like out of your pipe. One reason for your friends suggestion is what many call "ghosting", where a strong smell or flavor will be leftover in a pipe after smoking certain blends through it. This can dramatically affect the taste of any other blends. Corncob pipes are inexpensive, and I agree with your friend. When you want to try English blends, get another cob. As you poke around through the forum, you'll get plenty of recommendations though. Have fun, and tell Bucky Lorenzo hi for me.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Welcome, and yes it’s OK to clean your pipe between blends. If you want to try other aros, you can buy bulk in a couple ozs w/minimal investment. Also, check out estates. You should be able to find a nice briar at a reasonable price, but there is certainly nothing wrong w/cobs if you want to add more of them…

Reactions: OSOBUCO and jpmcwjr

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
So, I'm new to pipe smoking and I have only one pipe. It's a Missouri Meerschaum, Country Gentleman.
I want to try some different aromatics. A friend said that I should buy more pipes if I'm going to be switching blends.
At this point I'm not 100% committed to staying as a pipe smoker so I really don't want to make the investment just yet. Just the same, I would like to try some other blends to help me make the decision to keep smoking or not.
View attachment 125157
Welcome from Virginia

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

1643559927696.png

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: woodsroad

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Welcome! Please capitalize all words in title except really short ones. Rule 9. -jpm

View attachment 125157
yes. I have about ten pipes and honestly the difference in my opinion between having one and ten in terms of regular smoking and cleaning. Is you have to clean one sooner or deep clean it sooner. Also cobs are what I call semi disposable. They should be treated like they'll last but if they don't whatever they're cheap. Main thing with any pipe is just make sure it's dry before you smoke it. And if it starts tasting really funky and off look up how to do a deep clean here. Seriously for decades I had one pipe and smoked whatever through it (tobacco, didn't smoke anything else in it).

Reactions: Fralphog

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You'll need a different pipe for each different tobacco you smoke (aromatic, English, VaPer). Usually a pipe should only be smoked once a day.
Welcome from KC!!

Status
Not open for further replies.