PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
This is my primary pipe as of right now. I started smoking regularly this year.
Vauen Laiton 1042
I use it to smoke aromatics and I have another cheap no name that I bought to smoke some virginias until I get the opportunity to get yet another decent pipe (won't be long now :) ).
What do you guys think? Be brutally honest, I don't have much to which to compare so I want real opinions, even though you are all really nice.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Nice looking pipe. I'm a sucker for an apple with a reddish stain. How does it smoke?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
It's a beautiful pipe. The silver bands accentuate the wood nicely and I always like saddle bits. Looks like a nice, hand-filling shape, too.
smokingpipes.com sells two Lane's aromatics you may know about that are really popular - Lane's 1-Q and RLP-6. Each costs $20.13 with shipping to Dallas, TX for 8oz. All they lack is a cool name, like Haunted Bookshop or something.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Your pipe looks just fine. But the only test is how well it smokes and you are the only one who can answer that.
Keep in mind that if it is a new pipe, you may have to smoke it a dozen times or more to really tell how it smokes.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
I think that she smokes nicely, or at least I thoroughly enjoy it.

But like I said, I don't really have a lot with which to compare right now as I just got into pipe smoking as a real hobby earlier this year. I tried it occasionally before this, but I didn't have clue :lol:

Will probably get 2 more pipes in the month of December.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
rotschefeller, might I suggest you instead get one higher end pipe instead of two medium-grades? The quality of materials, engineering and craftsmanship will definitely make for a more comfortable, more enjoyable smoke.
Just a suggestion.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Bigvan,
That is a good suggestion. I will likely get one high end pipe and one medium grade.

I would like to have 3 good/decent pipes for now because of how I have decided to dedicate them... which reminds me, I wanted to get the Pipesmagazine crowd's opinion on that too!
I will search for or make another thread sometime to discuss this, but I have decided to have a pipe for aromatics (the one you see in this thread), one for virginias and one for Latakia blends. After I have tried many kinds and have spent some time with the hobby, I can possibly determine which tobaccos are my favorites, I will likely have a few pipes dedicated solely to smoking those tobaccos with no ghosting whatsoever. But, I am not that far down the line yet.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Rotschefeller welcome to the site.
Don't be surprised when your pipes pick out what they like to smoke best instead of you. I've got a pipe I was bound and determined to make my Aro pipe but it just smokes flakes so well. Honestly I'm not proficient enough to taste ghosting yet, but I don't care for my Virginia Perique pipes to smell like Latakia.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Can't go wrong with Vauen as a first quality pipe. Truly German engineered, perfect drilling, great smokers. I have a 360 degree angel hair grain Vauen Fashion 168 that I have dedicated to English blends. One of my top 5 smoking pipes. Bought it at a more than reasonable price given the perfect grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.