PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

connlaus

Lurker
Jan 14, 2014
Portland OR
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and new to making pipes. I just made my first pipe and would like some feedback if you wouldn't mind. I know there are a few blemishes but try as I might I couldn't remove them without compromising the pipe. It is unfinished (not buffed) yet but the shape is as good as I think I'll be getting it. Thanks for your feedback. Kevin.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice Work! I agree with Dan,might need a little stain to bring out the grain,if buffing doesn't make it "pop".

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Connlaus,
Welcome to the forums.
What material did you make this pipe from? I think you did a very good job, especially if this is your first foray into pipe making. Do you plan on selling it or smoking it yourself?
Dan

connlaus

Lurker
Jan 14, 2014
Portland OR
I used Algerian briar. I didn't know what I was doing at first but the block seemed to want to look like this. I hsd a blast making it. I bought two blocks and I'm goin to give my father the one that turns out. Maybe if I'm lucky both will turn out okay.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
If I gave it one it would be a very light bend. I love the way it looks as is, I agree the form is very enchanting. I have yet to try something in that style.
If you like it without a bend don't do it. Go with your gut on it, your gut did you right on the shape of the pipe so far. By the way welcome to the forums.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Great job! I agree with the contrast staining thoughts. If you want a better look at the grain before you start, wet the pipe with a moist sponge. But DON'T try staining it until the pipe is completely dry to avoid uneven staining.
It does look very organic. Also upside down it looks like Boba Fett's space ship so it's got that going for it.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Welcome to the site of obsessions! I agree with jah76, a very organic design, almost like a nice fungus shape, and I mean that in the best way possible, as some fungi are beautiful. Stain on the sides might be a nice contrast, as well as a slightly bent stem. But what do I know, I've never made a pipe before, a you would be the best judge of how you want the end result to look. Keep up the good work though, and keep us posted with your projects. Love to see stuff like this!

uskthunder

Lurker
Feb 11, 2014
the block seemed to want to look like this
I fully understand where you're coming from there. I think it's a lovely thing altogether.

I'd be tempted to put a very light stain, a honey colour perhaps, on there with an amber stem.

The block will tell you what to do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.