PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirtsleg

Lurker
Aug 12, 2015
hey everyone, here is my first pipe, its not perfect but it turned out better than expected, made from solid briar block, hope the pictures work, still need to hit it with tripoli and wax, and also need to bend the stem still, take a look :)
fnelu0.jpg

35bxxtj.jpg

2ly5oi9.jpg

2mg81uo.jpg

f9v2o.jpg

w82i6t.jpg

2jeuvz6.jpg

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I like it! Great work! How does it smoke? Was the briar oil-cured?
Show it off once it is bent :)

wirtsleg

Lurker
Aug 12, 2015
it smokes alright! its my first time really using a pipe so i wouldn't know the difference anyways lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You discovered some really fine birds eye grain in there. Brave to start out with a solid block rather than pre-drilled.

shaylee23

Lurker
Oct 31, 2015
I've smoked a pipe for a few years now. If I was you I would start on a $20 pipe to see if you like it. In a month or two if you are still into it go for a $50 one. Don't smoke too fast or you'll get tounge bite! It's almost unavoidable at first so don't be discouraged. I've been at it for a couple of years and I still learn something everytime I have one!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If I was you I would start on a $20 pipe to see if you like it. In a month or two if you are still into it go for a $50 one.
I went with a couple estate 15$ pipes that blew away the 50$ pipes with just a simple cleanup. I think it's commendable to start by carving your own. I agree though the shank needs to be cleaned up, but if it's just a personal smoking pipe, it's not a big deal.

wirtsleg

Lurker
Aug 12, 2015
thanks everyone :) it was not oil cured, and the tools i used: lathe, files, custom made sander, band saw, drill press. And yea i know the shank is a little bulky, but i just got to the point that i wanted to get it done so i could stain and smoke it aha, going to attempt a bent bulldog for my next one, need to get my lathe chuck fixed as it had a slight wobble, which causes the bowl walls to be a non consistent thickness, and i also cannot do the chamfer either until it spins true. Anyone know a thread that explains drilling airways for bent shanks? had to be a way to perfectly align everything with no guessing or "eyeing"

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Anyone know a thread that explains drilling airways for bent shanks? had to be a way to perfectly align everything with no guessing or "eyeing"

Here's a site that will help you with those questions and more. http://pipemakersforum.com

Status
Not open for further replies.