PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

glockguy55

Lurker
Mar 17, 2019
So today I smoked my first bowl through my Mr. Brog pipe. I packed a a bowl of Cult Blood Red Moon and I must say I really enjoyed it. It was very smooth, not to abrupt, I had no tongue bite or after taste. All in all, it was a very good smoke and I enjoyed it throughly. I did not however taste any flavors other than I mild smooth tobacco. I was retro hailing and still could not get the flavors to really pop. I was curious of every one else's experience with this tobacco, what you tasted and how it smoked for you. Also any tips on getting more flavor? Is there something I could do to get the most of it or is this just a newbie issue that will get better the more I smoke and develop my taste buds?
This thread is intended to document my journey into pipe smoking as well as for anyone with suggestions or advice to jump in and help me and other beginner's on thier journey.

Thanks all, Josh

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I get a strong taste of chocolate covered cherries. It is one of my favorite aromatics. It's hard to say on your individual taste. It may come with time as you smoke more and different tobaccos. I couldn't discern certain tobaccos when I started but now it isn't an issue. Sometimes the same blend will taste stronger than other times. It has a lot to do with what I've drank and/or eaten as well as what I'm doing. If I'm relaxing on the back porch a blend may taste different than when I am mowing the lawn. Keep smoking and trying different blends.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I get chocolate and cherries from that one. If you're still fairly new to pipe smoking, aromatics aren't going to readily present their flavors.

glockguy55

Lurker
Mar 17, 2019
When I opened the tin it smelled absolutely amazing. Almost like a cherry pop tart haha but the second I started smoking it seemed like the cherry just disappeared. I have a few other tins to try out so I will keep updating this thread on those. Hopefully I can start getting that cherry taste because the smell...fantastic haha. Thanks for the Input, it's greatly appreciated.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
My first pipe experience was awful. I couldn't taste any flavour and my tongue was burnt. Smoke was hot and my pipe was on fire. I started smoking aromatics and perhaps that wasn't the best thing to do, however in time and a whole lot of research both on youtube and on this forum i realized i was doing things all wrong. I slowly began to pack properly and slow down my smoking. I learned to retrohale properly and bring my cadence to where i felt comfortable. That is when the flavours began to come alive. I was tasting things that were never there before. Vanilla, chocolate, caramel, rum, fruits, plums it was all so exciting. I am an aromatic smoker and have been for a while now.

I have tried many blends thus far, each with their own special aromas, and new blends still excite me. I have recently began introducing other types of tobacco into my rotation such as english blends, lakeland, burleys and latakia blends. So far this journey into uncharted waters has been extremely satisfying. It seems the more i experiment the more i appreciate the leaf. I believe thats what pipe smoking is all about. If i might make one suggestion, take your time and work on your skill, slow down and take your time. Enjoy the smoke and eventually it will present itself to you. You will be rewarded with flavours beyond what you imagined.

As far as tobacco is concerned i'd say begin with something a little less challenging. Lane 1-Q and BCA are great tasting tobacco's. Simple, yes, but if you can pull the flavour out of those you are definitely on your way

If chocolate is your taste i would recommend Boswell's chocolate cream, it's one of my fav's always always have some on hand

Cheers and good luck

Keep it lit brother

glockguy55

Lurker
Mar 17, 2019
Sorry didn't mean to up show ya there ash, won't happen again haha. Thanks, I've definitely been trying to take it slow and enjoy it. I'll have to check the Boswells out, that sounds like a pretty great combination.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I think by trying distinctively different blends you’ll get a sense of the flavors.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
try drying it. but not too dry. bit of moisture still left. some times, i get better taste when tobacco's little drier. and breath smoking. try pulling less, and also little strong.

dianac96

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
I haven't tried any other pipe other than cult blood red.

I am a beginner too and I would like to share my experience too.

About my first experience, My friend is used to smoke this and I was like what pleasure gives you that while taking in and out the smoke. and she said to give it a try and check it out yourself. I also take that as if I am going for adventure or something. At first, I cough a lot but she said it is okay just to continue to smoke. After completing my first cigar, I refused to take it ever but now I loved to smoke cult blood red all the time.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Personally I don't retrohale & I get oodles of good flavor out of BRM, but then again I've got bookoo years behind me too (albeit with a hiatus of a couple of decades at one point). You'll get used to it & start to notice more, trust me. Like switching from hamburger to prime rib -- the fist time it's somewhat different, but still the same. After a while the subtleties sneak up on you. :)
Bill

jrblount

Lurker
Apr 7, 2019
As a new smoker I also do not get any real flavors other than tobacco smoke. I still find the whole experience very relaxing and I look forward to the times when I can burn up a bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.