PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Very classic and classy pipe. I had a Charatan 20 or so years ago, and it smoked great, but I didn't like its shape. I sold it and for some reason never bought another.

After looking at yours, I gonna have to start looking for another one though.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Beautiful burner, Gloster'man.
BTW, Charatan made many chunks of briar for The Tinder Box many years ago. If you ever run across a Tinder Box Unique, for less than a fifty dollar bill, just buy the damned thing. They put my named Charatan burners to shame.
Cheers.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very nice, I was also watching that one. That will shine up beautifully. I find the Charatan stems to be very comfortable, they use a softer rubber than most of the other British makers.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Love the shape, it just looks comfortable to hold. Congratulations!!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
SS, I suspect you and I watch a lot of the same pipes. This one is a Lane Era, probably '62-65 based on the link you posted. The bottom of the bowl wasn't even discolored. It had hardly been smoked.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Very nice looking pipe, I hope it is a great smoker for you, congrats. I have one Charatan at the present and have owned probably another 4 or so. I find them to be a very good brand and I really like their double comfort stem. The one I own is used exclusively for one blend which is SG Full Virginia Flake, it smokes that stuff incredibly well. I really like that you can get some great deals on Charatans if you know what you are doing.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
That is one beautifully shaped pipe and one of the few Charatan shapes I could really get wrapped up in. I have a little "special" in a pot shape that loves Latakia blends (I forget the #). Congrats on a great find!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Congratulations on your Charatan purchase! I have 7 active Charatans, a nice TB Unique which as mentioned was made by Charatan, and a Gorgeous Montbatten which is a Charatan second.
They all smoke divinely and are great pipes.
Up until the late 70's they were as highly regarded as Dunhills and often smoked better.
They lost the business war, not the quality pipe war.
Best of luck and on the sale page on here I have a couple other Charatans for sale at decent prices if you love this one of yours. =)

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Love Charatans, they are great smokes. As Al said, they use a softer rubber, and with the double comfort stem it's a dream. The downside is they seem to oxidize quicker than harder stems, so watch out for that. I have about 5 and they are all great smokers, my best is a special Zulu, one of the "xxxx'ed" out ones (Dunhill was a little petty after they bought them out).

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a sucker for the Rhodesian shape and this one just spoke to me. I gave it a good coating of Carnauba wax so hopefully that will protect the stem. But it smokes like a dream. It's nice when it all comes together, good looks and fine smoking characteristics. The Pipe Gods have smiled on me!

Status
Not open for further replies.