PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

whitebar

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I have found Castellos to be excellent pipes. I got my first one in the 1990s. This quickly led to another... and another... and then many more. I now have at least 50 of them! I hope you enjoy those two fine looking pipes as much as I love all of mine. There really is something special about Castellos.

Oct 7, 2016
I don't know anyone who knows more about Castellos than Oldgeezersmoker.
Blush.

When there is no tiger in the jungle, the monkey who jabbers loudest is king.

Mike Glukler has made the pilgrimage to Cantu, as have others. @npod comes to mind. Mike Hagley, who used to post here before his account got trashed in the change over, has been to the factory, but he also has a large collection of Castellos from the 1960’s forward that, for shapes he likes, shows how they have “evolved” over the years. Chuck Rio, who isn’t active on social media to my knowledge, is the US Dean of Castello Collectors. Dave Peterson, who posts here as @daveinlax has an extraordinary collection and has studied his finds as closely as anyone I have ever known. Then there is Richard Esserman, who has collected the brand even longer than I have and, I honestly believe, hasn’t forgotten a single one of them he has ever seen. Richard is active on Facebook and has a contribution in every issue of the NASPC publication. When I have a question, I ask Richard.

No doubt there are many others who know as much or more about Castellos. I think the one statement we would all agree on is that we sure don’t know everything that we would like to know about them.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Much like Savinelli's Capri line, the Sea Rocks are rusticated not blasted.
Semi-related, but I don't understand why the Capris seem to go for so much less than the Corallos. Even though I think the Capri is every bit the equal of the Sea Rock, I get that Savs are cheaper than Castellos in general... But why are the Corallos so much more on the estate market than Capris?

Oh well, the Capris are good for folks wanting a nice rusticated pipe at a good price. For example, me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Semi-related, but I don't understand why the Capris seem to go for so much less than the Corallos. Even though I think the Capri is every bit the equal of the Sea Rock, I get that Savs are cheaper than Castellos in general... But why are the Corallos so much more on the estate market than Capris?

Oh well, the Capris are good for folks wanting a nice rusticated pipe at a good price. For example, me.
Corallos are flawless blocks said to be nearly as porous as meerschaum with similar coloring ability. Never owned one prior to getting rid of my Savinelli's, but I've seen Corallo di Mares sell for as little as $120 on ebay. The Capri rustication can also be found in their Bruna, De Luxe, and Punto Oro lines.

Oct 7, 2016
Are these Brucianaso Shape 10 styles, just like this still around?
Yes. Site sponsors Corti and Bollito often have them, as does Smoking Pipes. The bent shape 11 is considered a nose warmer. The 55 can be, as can the 33, but most of those I see now are made with longer shanks than they used to be. But you can still find ones short enough to be considered a nose warmer if you look hard enough.

Reactions: aquadoc

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Very nice, i have yet to join the Castello owners club, just have a hard time justifying spend that kind of money for a single pipe. Maybe if I cut down on smoking cigars or drive my summer car a bit less.
Either way, those are an awesome B-day present for sure, good score.

Reactions: aquadoc

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yes. Site sponsors Corti and Bollito often have them, as does Smoking Pipes. The bent shape 11 is considered a nose warmer. The 55 can be, as can the 33, but most of those I see now are made with longer shanks than they used to be. But you can still find ones short enough to be considered a nose warmer if you look hard enough.

I’ve been looking since the beginning of the year, every place I could find online that sells Castello, I’ve yet to find any that look similar. I especially would love to find one, like the one of the left with the straight grains.

So far, it’s been impossible to find any Brucianaso Shape 10 styles, exactly as pictured. :cry:

Oct 7, 2016
Well, no two Castellos are alike?
If you aren’t looking at these sites, perhaps add them to your searches

categoria=pipe&classificazione=Castello

Good luck!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
As far as shapes are concerned, I assumed Castello continued to make the Brucianaso Shape 10.

Thanks

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I have only one Castello, a Natural Vergin kkkk that I bought from Castellana's shop while in Florence back in 2016. It's by far my favorite pipe. I will likely buy others at some point.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone went all out with gift giving. Despite all the back-and-forth, Castello seems to be one of the most popular brands on Forums. I have a nice Ser Jacopo, but no Castello.