AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks!

Follow up question: How do you know if it's an old one or new one in your pipe? I've got an estate meerschaum that's unlabeled and want to make sure I have one of these newer inserts in it.
If it hasn't got a snug fitting or has an extremely tight draw, it's likely the older variety.

Reactions: fMf Piper and Jbyrd

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
They look almost the same from the outside but the hole in the new ones is larger I will try to get a picture of the draft hole on both side by side. After my coffee and first bowl of the day.
No need for a side by side since I'm pretty sure mine is the old one. How did you get the mortise/stummel side plastic piece out? The shoulder on mine is broken so I can't take pliers to it.

Reactions: fMf Piper

Jbyrd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
No need for a side by side since I'm pretty sure mine is the old one. How did you get the mortise/stummel side plastic piece out? The shoulder on mine is broken so I can't take pliers to it.
Is it the side thats in the stem? If so I would try using a pocket knife or a flat head screw driver. I would be very careful though. If you can get it to break lose ten it will come out pretty easy. they are normal pretty hard to get started turning after they have been in for a while on the stem side. the side in the shank should be easy to get out. Someone else might have a better way to do this but, that is what i would try.

Reactions: fMf Piper