PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
The other day, I posted pics of my new Peterson I picked up at B&M I haven't been to in a few years. The reason for not going in is because he's definitely more cigar focused and not as knowledgeable about pipes and/or tobacco. He sells Petersons primarily and gets a hold of some awesome estates from time to time.
Well, while I was talking with him about the industry, he made sure to note that there's been an increase in pipe and tobacco sales, mostly surrounding the college aged generation. This is extremely awesome in my opinion, I just wonder where everyone is, since I rarely see them in the stores and haven't met too many people in my area (NE of Atlanta).
The other thing we talked about was some general pipe care tips, which I was able to help him with. This gave me an opening that I never thought about, even being unemployed due to layoff and because pipe smoking and everything around it has been an on and off hobby for me. Over the past couple of years, I've been buying some pretty nasty old pipes and restoring them, then placing them up for sale. My next tackle will be to start carving my own pipes, but that's for another story. Anyway, while talking to him, he mentioned that he's been getting more and more customers coming in asking if he can do cleanup and repairs, which he doesn't. I showed him some of the pipes I've worked on and at his request, he wants me to make a flier and business cards to place in his store. :)
One of the things lacking in my neck of the woods is a good tobacco store and lounge. The closest old school B&M is in Atlanta, but I'm never down that way anymore. Therefore, I've been toying with the idea of getting deeper into the industry, but I'm really not sure where to begin. My first thought was maybe create a pipe club in the area.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
My first thought was maybe create a pipe club in the area.
Usually, your first thought, and gut instinct is the correct one. Go for it!
And great to keep hearing about the resurgence in pipe smoking.
The only better news I got than this today was when my upcoming weekend guest told me she just got done shopping at Victoria's Secret.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
That's great news about the business opportunity bootlegbonvivant...good luck with that. Keep us posted how things progress.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I would be really interested at how this works out, I suggested a pipe smoking club at my students union and was shot down on several different grounds including encouraging people to smoke, the negative health promotion, the venue where we would meet etc
In the end I left the idea and decided I would try and start one locally (not specifically connected with the university) but I haven't actually got that far yet! So would really like to hear other peoples experience on this

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
You should definitely start a pipe club, bootleg. I've been looking into some here in the Atlanta area and if you were to stop one then I'd totally show up for a meeting. Fortunately for, I live near one of those lounge shops in Atlanta.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Being too crippled up for a "real" job any more , I have turned to my hobbies to help out. Woodworking naturally led to pipe turning. I Love what I do! I say GO FOR IT!

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Be sure to post an image of your flier. I have discovered that I do not enjoy the work that goes into adding value back into my estate pipes. :(

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Thanks everyone for the support. It's much appreciated.

Now time to do the research, lol.
theotherspace, from what I've seen around here, most campuses have gone smoke free, regardless of the medium. Therefore, creating one in the outside community on your own would probably be received much better.
lyst, sounds great! I'll let you know if things work out. :puffpipe:
forsooth, when I have it made, I'll send it to you, privately. Based on the site rules, I don't think it'll be allowed to post in the open forum, being that I'm trying to create a business from this. :)

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Good luck!
You never know where you'll find opportunities. A friend of mine who wears kilts all the time got to know a fellow who runs a kiltmaking shop, and now he's working full time making kilts himself at the shop and learning how to make hand-sewn ones. Apparently there's big demand and good money in it.
Go figure. Follow your interests.
Simon

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Go for it, bootleg...
I'll never be in the industry unless I win many millions of dollars - but if I do, I'll open the best B&M in Canada with no concerns of turning a profit; just to establish a pipe smoking mecca. :D
It's great if you get to start up a club, make some contacts, take on some restoration work, and finally attempt to do some pipe carving of your own. You'll be well on your way to lord knows what opportunities by then! You've got nowhere to go but up :puffy:

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
You never know until you try whether it will work or not. If nothing else you will learn from your endeavour. That sometimes is the best teacher.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Interesting conversation. I don't visit local B&M's but rather prefer to purchase from vendors all around the country via the internet. I've been able to pick up some great pipes and always get the tobacco blends I want at great prices by keeping my eye on the ball in many different states. I have dibbs in with several vendors so I always get my beloved Penzance and I have made a good friend of Jack Peterson at Sterling Tobacco Co. so I have a go to resource that is invaluable. I find that pipe smoking is no longer a "local hometown" endeavor. My B&M is a virtual one.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Im sure theirs a good amount of smokers in GA, im pretty sure theirs even a few here on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.