PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Since July I’ve been fully involved in the restoration of my family owned since new 1966 Fastback Mustang. Thought I’d share some pics of its current state. Should be finished by November.
Car was bought in November 1965. Driven daily until 1985. Parked in barn ever since. Engine is 289 bored .30 over and will be getting mild performance upgrades including fuel injection. Front disc conversion also completed. Transmission is C4 auto.
Will be painted back to original Raven Black.2E0A261B-DF44-424D-BF04-423D5EAC443F.jpeg5677234B-1696-4555-BD04-7EFF4C910C0C.jpeg118330C9-A3E4-46F6-AB02-0DA763303C04.jpeg5CB905A0-FAFE-4045-A914-AE1C3E3D479C.jpeg17C6F420-2DC3-47D7-BDA6-C3CE3B6987FE.jpeg

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nice! I’ve got a 72’ F100 big block that my grandfather bought new in 71. If I can ever quit buying pipes, tobacco, guns and ammo, I’ll hopefully get to restore it. I’ve got everything I need to build the engine. I need to find a late model Crown Vic to pull the front end out of and I need some new fender supports. It only needs minor body work and paint on the outside. Before it was parked I had the tranny completely rebuilt, headers put on, had the heads worked and the top end of the block cleaned. It’s got good bones, I’ve just got to find the time and money to work on it.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Nice! I’ve got a 72’ F100 big block that my grandfather bought new in 71. If I can ever quit buying pipes, tobacco, guns and ammo, I’ll hopefully get to restore it. I’ve got everything I need to build the engine. I need to find a late model Crown Vic to pull the front end out of and I need some new fender supports. It only needs minor body work and paint on the outside. Before it was parked I had the tranny completely rebuilt, headers put on, had the heads worked and the top end of the block cleaned. It’s got good bones, I’ve just got to find the time and money to work on it.
Those older Ford trucks are great looking in any form. My in-laws tried giving me a 71 460 ci F100 a few years ago, I could not see getting to it, so it was sold.

Reactions: petes03 and BROBS

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Looks like the orgional fram rails & inner fenders. Was the right rear quarter replaced? How were the floor pans?

Nice job. Always liked the fastbacks. Had a 289 4v automatic convertible made in August 1964. The origional 64 hood, 5 bolt bell housing motor & trans, generator, & hydraulic cylinder power steering were unique to the early units.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS and voorhees

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Looks like the orgional fram rails & inner fenders. Was the right rear quarter replaced? How were the floor pans?

Nice job. Always liked the fastbacks. Had a 289 4v automatic convertible made in August 1964. The origional 64 hood, 5 bolt bell housing motor & trans, generator, & hydraulic cylinder power steering were unique to the early units.

Luckily, there was not one bit of major rust anywhere on the car. I know, very unusual. The car had been in a couple rear end accidents and were repaired by less than perfect means, but were completely salvageable. Just a bit more metal work and they were perfect again. The original frame rails still retained their galvanized appearance. Floors were also very good, car was blasted and sealed with epoxy coat.
I did replace the trunk lid and tail light panel as damage to it was too bad. Hood was replaced due to damage at a garage many years ago.

Reactions: dmcmtk and BROBS

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Awesome.
My first "car" was a 1969 Mustang fastback with a Boss 302 dropped in.
Both the car and engine were ragged beyond repair. I was a young kid, I did not know any better. Sold it for a reliable and fun 1977 VW Rabbit.
Very nice. I bought a 1969 Sportsroof(fastback) around 1992. It was a 351w with Auto. Winter Blue. I sold it in 2000 to help with the building of our first home.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Yeah baby, yeah! How much horsepower do you think in its final configuration?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Yeah baby, yeah! How much horsepower do you think in its final configuration?

I’m cautiously thinking 250-275. I know a lot of people would say go big on hp, but that’s not my intent with this car. However, with a curb weight of 2,450 it will be plenty. I’m also adding tri y headers and dual exhaust. I also have a budget to stick to, unless someone else wants to contribute to the cause. LOL.
Other upgrades include GT/Shelby rated suspension.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
My first car and restoration job was a barn-find, an '70 Olds 442. I was fifteen and with the help of my dad, brothers and every red cent from every job I worked it was showroom ready when I drove it to the first day of school my senior year. It was a tail magnet. Sold it when the twins were born for a minivan.

Reactions: dmcmtk and voorhees

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh, what a fine pony car you are resurrecting from the barn. Just the sheet metal alone is a work of art, and it sounds like the update of running gear will make it entirely roadworthy. I hope you share the finished restoration. My cuz' has the first car he ever owned, a Plymouth Barracuda he ordered custom from the factory, with great specificity on the engine and transmission. All the while he kept running off the dealer who wanted to pass off stock versions on him. He scorned them. Now he has a 'Vette and a chopped Ford coupe, but he's kept his baby with tender care all these years. Now his only grandson won't even learn to drive or get a license, so no heir apparent, alas. His son didn't get the car gene either. My cuz's parents were both hot drivers and had English roadsters, and the inevitable VW too.

Status
Not open for further replies.