PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
Nice rack! And nice stain, too!

As a fellow Lesepfeife enthusiast, I also went the same route after looking at a rack online that was not able to be shipped to me.
Similarly, I went with holes for the bases to accommodate some of those oddly shaped pipes...
That's absolutely magnificent! LOVE it!!

Reactions: Templekeeper

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
That's beautiful! I absolutely love the live edge!

I have a project working in my head and the odd shapes of my pipes have me thinking about how I will do the resting spots. Thinking about something malleable at the base that can form to different shapes like a pointy bulldog or a squarer panel pipe. I was thinking of something like bean bags set flush to the wood's surface.
Interesting idea! What would you use as cover for the beanbag-like surface? My first thought was the stretchy material of palm rests for mouse and keyboards, but not sure how well that would age. And for filling I'm assuming you'd have to do something much smaller than actual beans so it better conforms to the shape, right?

Reactions: MartyA and AreBee

AreBee

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Interesting idea! What would you use as cover for the beanbag-like surface? My first thought was the stretchy material of palm rests for mouse and keyboards, but not sure how well that would age. And for filling I'm assuming you'd have to do something much smaller than actual beans so it better conforms to the shape, right?
I was thinking of a satin or felt pouch filled with a small grain like rice. Each pipe rest would have a carved out hollow or possibly a hole, with the "bean bag" secured into it.