PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I started out smoking mainly aros, but recently I've been on a straight burley kick. This morning I woke up and decided I want some EMP, the tin note has always been overwhelming to me but today it smells different. Guess I'm growing up guys!!!!!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
This morning I woke up and decided I want some EMP, the tin note has always been overwhelming to me but today it smells different.
LOL, I remember my first tin of EMP. I cracked it and recoiled in horror, but being out of tobacco I loaded up a bowl and proceeded to explain to my wife how it had an interesting flavour profile, reminiscent (to me) of chewing on a sweaty piece of saddle leather that's been charred to a crisp...but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Of course, that night as I lay in bed, I found myself sniffing away at the notes wafting from my moustache, my mouth watering and my palate craving the strangely sweet, pungent, leathery flavours of the blend. I'll admit I got over the blend pretty quickly, moving on to bolder Lats and more delicate and complex Orientals, but it will always hold a special place in my heart as the first Oriental/Lat blend I tried and enjoyed.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just yesterday I read this quote from the writer -- and avid pipesmoker -- J.B. Priestly. I think it's fitting for this thread:
"I have always been content to suffer the gibes of my friends at my fickleness in the matter of pipe tobacco. I have never settled down to one tobacco, and I have no intention of doing so. I have tried at one time or another almost every brand in existence, have ranged from the Channel Islands to Central Africa, Kentucky to Asia Minor. I try to make the tobacco suit the occasions, the place, and the work."
The only thing I'd add would be "and my mood" at the very end.
And, as rothnh says, Such a joy. Indeed!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I remember being a total devotee of English blends and the thought of ever losing my taste for them was something I would have never thought possible. Yet lo and behold, I can no longer enjoy anything with Latakia or Orientals and now I am a Va and Vaper flake lover. You never know where this journey will take you but it is a hell of a lot of fun.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I can no longer enjoy anything with Latakia or Orientals and now I am a Va and Vaper flake lover.
I have to admit that experiences like this do cause a bit of concern when I look over my cellar. I do have quite a bit of variety -- lots of English/Balkan and also lots of Virginia and Virginia/cavendish -- but it would definitely be disappointing to discover that a one-time favorite, of which I have many tins, might begin to lose its charm for me.
Heck, with my luck, something awful will happen to my palate and I'll spend the last 20 years of my life craving nothing but 1Q. ;)

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Ha nice one Bob. The one advantage of craving 1Q for the rest of your life is you'll save a bunch of money as that stuff is dirt cheap. :rofl:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Well I enjoyed the EMP, it wasn't Nirvana but it was definitely interesting. The flavour doesnt match the tin note (fortunately) and I dont see myself ordering tins for cellaring, but it was enjoyable and something I'll try once in awhile to change things up. Overall I'd say a rather enjoyable start to the day. Now back to my Edgeworth for a comparison.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think drastic changes in likes/dislikes, such as Harris' here, are more the exception, not the norm.
I have to say, though, that I've just read two books by/about pipe smokers (Compton Mackenzie and Raymond Chandler) and both noted that they had once smoked primarily latakia mixtures and then, later in life, lost their taste for them and switched over to Virginias.
I'm hoping that won't be the case for me, as I love both varieties. And I do switch back and forth constantly among a variety of blends; hopefully, my palate won't have time to get bored with any one style.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Being a recent 'reconvert' to pipes again after so many years, I also find my tastes changing.
Froming knowing nearly nothing about different blends, I'm learning so much here on the forum and trying so many different types I can see that I'm leaning more towards Virginias and Virginia/perique flakes over the English types.
At least so far.
I do want to stock up and cellar on whatever it is that I like, if I could only decide what it is! :)
Allan

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I started smoking aros, OTC blends and later B&M blends. When I discovered English types my interest in pipe smoking soared. Then I tried my first Virginia flake and I was really hooked. I found a home with Virginias, VaPers and VaBurs but even then I need a change-up and go back to English blends and aros. Aren't pipe tobaccos great?

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I have tried to get an average of types I smoke per week as a gauge for ordering for my cellar. I think lat blends make up about three bowls a week vs. 21 bowls of Virginia, va/per/ber blends. I just got done smoking a bowl of BBBB and night cap while reading the guns of august with a cup of tea, English breakfast/golden monkey blend. It was very satisying in all.

Status
Not open for further replies.