PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
my best friend teddy got diabetes around 8 months ago and developed cataracts and he went blind. it made me feel so bad for him to watch him bump into things, jump and rum when he heard sounds that he could not see and just layed around at my feet all day like he was depressed. so we took him and had the cataracts removed yesterday. it was a long day for him they had to shave around his eyes for the surgery and has to wear the lamp shade for two weeks. meds and three types eye drops four times a day for two weeks. his eyes are nice and clear now and he can see.
030-1.jpg

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
That is one very lucky and super gorgeous little boy! If only every animal owner was as loving and concientious as you clearly are.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Good for you both!I remember years ago,the wife and I had a lab we loved dearly & she got cancer(the dog).We were financialy strapped.The vet said he thought he could help her but the cost was a $1000.00.I took the money we had saved for our property taxes and gave it to him and said help my girl!People told me I had lost my mind,but it's only money...We got by and our beloved dog got a couple more years.They are family you know.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Awesome story. I too have a dog with diabetes. Over the last couple years, she developed cataracts but we decided that it's just too risky to get them removed. She has a hard time in the dark, but other than that she's just fine.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I hope he is soon out chasing a ball and enjoying a new lease of life. Here's to speedy recovery and Well Done for making the decision to improve his quality of life.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
His quality of life just went up ten-fold. Our 15 yr old Westie lost most of her eyesight towards the end, but was just too old to justify or endure a surgery like that, but it was tough on her and us.

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
Our Morkie (Maltese/Yorkie) developed juvenile cataracts in her first year of life. After it was discovered about 6 months ago, we took her in for the surgery on both eyes.
She had to wear the "cone of embarrassment" for 1 month solid and we are still doing some of the eye drops at the Vets suggestion. She goes in for checkups every month to make sure everything is progressing.I guess after the surgery, you have to make sure glaucoma doesn't develop.
Our Vet told us that keeping the cone on (continuously) and religiously doing the eyedrops really makes a huge difference.
Funny thing is, I have a client who is an eye surgeon, my dog's eye surgery was more expensive than what insurance will pay human doctors for the same surgery.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I think people that love their pets are among the people I get along with very easily.
That being said my "inlaws" are predominantly old-school mexican and unfortunately live up to the history of not doing a whole lot for thier animal family members. Which is why I give the animals more attention than the family I visit. :D
Different cultures different rules.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I'm very happy that your dog can see now, My dog has diabetes also, she gets an injection evey time she is fed. Blindness for her has been a concern, but the vet reassured me that we caught it early enough where that may not be a problem. Also I am glad you were willing and able to do that for your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.