SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Most of us don’t use a lottery or tag method either. You can take any game in Alaska with over the counter tags.

The draw tags are just for special conveniences, like any bull, or units close to/in town. Or for crazy stuff like Bison and Muskox. But moose, caribou, deer, sheep, goats, bears, etc. can all be taken with OTC tags.

Moose have antler restrictions with OTC tags simply because they are far and away the most popular game animal in the state. They are plentiful and we want to keep them that way.

Conservation is certainly a priority though. We have taken a lesson from watching the lower 48 hunt/fish its populations of certain species into some pretty dire situations, so fish and game is careful not to do the same here.
See, I just have no idea what the tag is you are talking about. I just have to buy a license, walk out into my field, pull the trigger, and enter the kill on an app. I have a lifetime license, so even less worry. Even so, you'd think the Hunting Nazis have their boot on the neck of hunters in my state to talk to other hunters.
All that said, we still have a surprising amount of game. Deer in the corn is still a problem at times. And, damned if I don't hit one with my truck about once every other year.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
See, I just have no idea what the tag is you are talking about. I just have to buy a license, walk out into my field, pull the trigger, and enter the kill on an app. I have a lifetime license, so even less worry. Even so, you'd think the Hunting Nazis have their boot on the neck of hunters in my state to talk to other hunters.
All that said, we still have a surprising amount of game. Deer in the corn is still a problem at times. And, damned if I don't hit one with my truck about once every other year.
When I say tag, or otc tag, it means you walk into any grocery store and say “give me a moose tag”. You show your hunting license, pay $0, and walk out with a tag. If you harvest a moose, you report it online with your tag#.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Is this an extra tine? (or whatever you'd call that on moose)
View attachment 97834
We were wondering the same thing! I’m not sure if it counts as a “brow tine” or not, but I would guess no. That is a mutant freak tine that is very unusual for a moose so its not a question that ive ever pondered before. Never shot one with anything like that before.

In the photo below, the brow tines are circled:

CFA36CD3-177A-4BB1-9EEF-11EBD48C0FAF.jpeg

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
We were wondering the same thing! I’m not sure if it counts as a “brow tine” or not, but I would guess no. That is a mutant freak tine that is very unusual for a moose so its not a question that ive ever pondered before. Never shot one with anything like that before.

In the photo below, the brow tines are circled:

View attachment 97835
Nice! You may have some sort of irregular record.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Nice! You may have some sort of irregular record.
Haha, no, there are a few freaks out there that have been shot. Little irregularities like you see on mine are not that uncommon, I’ve just never seen one below the brow tines. Usually its a little nub on the back of the palms or a strange tine coming off the side. Never seen one over the eye like that, especially rooted below the bases.

That being said, super freaks (like you see in non-typical deer species) are extremely rare in moose. Much more rare than in deer, but a few have been taken. The vast majority of moose taken are more or less “normal” shaped but there have been a few weirdos taken from time to time.

66343033-B4BD-4472-AA3B-061025C1E4B9.jpeg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a city guy so I have never shot an animal of any kind. I have fished in a number of places. One of the places was Gustaves Alaska and we caught limit everyday there. Limit was 7 King Salmon and after we caught limit before lunch we then went Halibut fishing. I only caught a 65 pounder as the heaviest. We did get a bunch of 40-50 pounders. They are a bitch to lug from 165 feet deep.

I cannot imagine what type of work it takes to get a moose from the woods to your freezer. I will take asking the butcher for a nicely marbled piece of rib eye. I think I would put an ice pick in my ear before sitting in some blind waiting for my steak to show up. If I had to go hunting, nothing less than an Uzi would be my weapon of choice for personal use. . If I had enough people I would lug a M-61 Vulcan into the woods and just open her up and let her rip. No way you couldn't kill something. I never said it had to be fair.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I am a city guy so I have never shot an animal of any kind. I have fished in a number of places. One of the places was Gustaves Alaska and we caught limit everyday there. Limit was 7 King Salmon and after we caught limit before lunch we then went Halibut fishing. I only caught a 65 pounder as the heaviest. We did get a bunch of 40-50 pounders. They are a bitch to lug from 165 feet deep.

I cannot imagine what type of work it takes to get a moose from the woods to your freezer. I will take asking the butcher for a nicely marbled piece of rib eye. I think I would put an ice pick in my ear before sitting in some blind waiting for my steak to show up. If I had to go hunting, nothing less than an Uzi would be my weapon of choice for personal use. . If I had enough people I would lug a M-61 Vulcan into the woods and just open her up and let her rip. No way you couldn't kill something. I never said it had to be fair.
Haha yeah halibut fishing is like lugging up an anvil.

Moose are indeed a bitch, especially if they go down in a tough spot. Getting one field dressed takes about 3 hours. Then getting it all back to town, especially in our airplane, is no small task. But its a whole year of meat. Which rocks.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I knew it would be a bitch getting that meat to your freezers.

I am sure you eat the ribs. What do Moose ribs taste like? How do you spice them? Do you smoke them or just throw them on the grill? How about the Tongue? I love beef tongue, Moose tongue must be similar in texture and flavor? How many pounds is a Moose tongue? How about the Filet, do you get many pounds of that? Can you use Béarnaise sauce on the filet like you can with beef? Is there any skirt steaks on the Moose? All these questions can be answered if you start shipping some meat to Florida. I can trade you if you would rather. I might have something aged in my cellar. lol

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
We
I knew it would be a bitch getting that meat to your freezers.

I am sure you eat the ribs. What do Moose ribs taste like? How do you spice them? Do you smoke them or just throw them on the grill? How about the Tongue? I love beef tongue, Moose tongue must be similar in texture and flavor? How many pounds is a Moose tongue? How about the Filet, do you get many pounds of that? Can you use Béarnaise sauce on the filet like you can with beef? Is there any skirt steaks on the Moose? All these questions can be answered if you start shipping some meat to Florida. I can trade you if you would rather. I might have something aged in my cellar. lol
haha yes to all. For ribs we crock pot for a few hours and then grill. They taste kind of like a cross between brisket and pot roast.

Filet (tenderloins) are about 5lbs each. Backstraps (loin) are about 25 lbs each.

Tongue is good. A few lbs usually. The liver and heart are also excellent. About 25lbs and 5lbs respectively.

E3417E8F-8262-4D1E-9A46-A9F7654A6E60.jpeg

Reactions: lawdawg and jpmcwjr

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I think you may have mentioned it before, but how much edible meat can you harvest from a single hunt?
I assume you have some pretty impressive dedicated freezers for the task.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I think you may have mentioned it before, but how much edible meat can you harvest from a single hunt?
I assume you have some pretty impressive dedicated freezers for the task.
Depending on the age of the bull, we usually pull off 450-650 lbs of edible meat. This guy was 570 lbs boned out. Keeping in mind thats split evenly amongst the group, so in this case three ways. If you make sausage and add suet to burger that weight obviously increases as well.

A few chest freezers in the garage, yes.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Depending on the age of the bull, we usually pull off 450-650 lbs of edible meat. This guy was 570 lbs boned out. Keeping in mind thats split evenly amongst the group, so in this case three ways. If you make sausage and add suet to burger that weight obviously increases as well.

A few chest freezers in the garage, yes.
I’m used to the numbers we get from buck season.
That’s a lot of protein!