PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I have been smoking Mac Baren's HH Rustica for over six months now, going through several tins. This has become one of my staple go-to tobaccos. I particularly like to smoke a flake/stick in the morning with a cup of dark coffee. Makes for a nice start to the day.

The opening tin note is somewhat similar to HH Old Dark Fired. A sweet smokey bbq aroma.

The flakes are fairly dry out of the tin, but even so, they are a bit difficult to light, especially using the fold and stuff method. I found I prefer fully rubbing a flake/stick out and somewhat loosely packing it in my pipe. Using the fold and stuff method I need multiple relights, whereas, when I rub it out I only need a couple for relights.

On lighting, Mac Baren's HH Rustica has an unique earthy almost light herbal/floral scent/taste, not overpowering. It's NOT a sickly purfumy floral sent, it's more like an earthy Chrysanthemum mixed in with herbal hints. The Virginia's and Burley's mix in harmoniously. Personally they all meld together for me and I can't discern one out from the other. In general I find Virginias to have kind of a sweet note, similar to the smell of fresh collected hay with some hints of citrus. I find Burleys to have kind of a nutty and toasty flavor.

The nicotine is on the stronger side of most pipe tobaccos. Somewhere in the realm of Gawith Hoggarth and Co's Brown Irish Twist. I can get a little green when I smoke a couple of flakes/sticks in a row.

fihbkyle

Lurker
Dec 28, 2020
South Dakota
I'll bet a flake and black coffee gets the engine pretty hot. Royal Yacht with a pinch of Tambo used to fuel my late-night study sessions, I'll have to keep this one in mind if I ever make a run at grad school!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like it a lot, but it took four flakes in one pipe to make me feel the nicotine. The flavor is amazing though.

Reactions: Civil War
Status
Not open for further replies.