PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
My first hack up, how many have you other carvers hacked before you got a "good one" :crying:
Hack#1

photo-46-600x448.jpg

Hack#2

photo-47-600x448.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Not bad. The bowl to stem transition is a bit abrupt though. 8O. It took screwing up a few blocks to get the hang of making pipes. I had done a few in cherry before trying briar. Briar is a whole different critter to work with.

Jul 12, 2011
I was after this Castello bent dublin-KKKK (better perhaps purchase...waiting for my pipe-making skills to improve to that level...I may never smoke another bowl :crying:
castello-bent-dublin-kkkk-294x600.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
My Sav-510EX isn't a joke smoker (keep it with English-blends only) at only $5x.xx was after another pipe-maker's design of this style :wink:
sav-baronet-bruyere-510ex.jpg

jsullivan

Lurker
Sep 26, 2011
Its nice know there are other guys on here that are starting the carving habit as well. There should be plenty of experience and help to go around. Thats a very nice bowl you have there dragon. beutiful grain.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
the lenght of the shank is one of the most important thing in a pipe not only for the beauty of the shape.Short shank will ever make condenses.Transition between shank and stem needs also to be perfected.As i told you in the past and as Unclearthur said also there are several steps to do to learning on making pipe.Jumping some step it delays the result an get some disappointment

Maurizio

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looks good but needs more shank.Got a piece of scrap you can turn to make a shank extension with? Or maybe some other type of wood.

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
there's not briar enough to put an insert.Getting a plane surface on the shank wilt decrease the briar and no extension whould be possible without to enter into the bore chamber

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You're right,once it was faced there would not be enough material to put an extension

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
JB WELD ! I've used it to glue together two pipes with broken shanks,still smoking both!

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
"JB WELD ! I've used it to glue together two pipes with broken shanks,still smoking both"

Don't think i whould like to glue a pipe just carved.Prefer make another and forget what happen as soon as possible because doing ourselves is doing for the best possible compatibly with our possibilities

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I see your point Pentangle. But with the cost of briar why not save it it if possible? Would make a good yard or shop pipe! Dragon,if you don't want to mess with it I'd give it a shot!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
short shank always make condenses
I wouldn't say always pentangle.

I've a Tankard and a Barrel from Petersons and have as yet to have any issues with either of them gurgling or ending up with undue condensate at the end of a smoke. Granted they both have about 3x the shank that smokingdragons "hack-a-bowl" has (-:
tank1.jpg

hmmm, no pic of the Barrel... must needs address that

Status
Not open for further replies.