PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Turner Classic Movies is airing Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House on Friday 11/8/19 at 11:15pm CST (0515 GMT).
An all-time favourite of mine, even before I started pipe smoking. I know lots of us here like it, based on past threads.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Mr. Blandings is probably my favorite classic film. I’ve done a lot of research on the movie over the years, collecting production stills, online photos and magazine articles, etc. Several years ago, I even crafted a boxed, two pipe set replicating the pipes used in the movie, called “The Blandings Collection”. I sold several of them and Mr. Godbee purchased a set (Thanks again, Kevin). The film contains pipe smoking from virtually first frame to last, presented in a casual, matter of fact style. Three great stars at their prime. The great James Wong Howe behind the camera. The era, the fashions, the cars, the hats and of course, the pipes! The movie is a masterpiece of it’s time, with many funny, quotable lines and a snappy musical score. The subject matter hits home, as I’ve been through several construction projects, and believe me, nothing has changed over the decades. From delays to cost overruns to cranky contractors, it’s all still relevant. Even though I have the DVD, and watch it a couple times a year, I might fire up a pipe, settle in and catch it tonight.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Cacooper nailed it exactly.

Love the idea of the pipe set, brilliant. My all-time favorite pipe movie.

The movie also features shaving razors of the time in an early scene. If I watch closely there are probably fountain pens as well.

Such a fun movie. Watching Blanding’s friend constantly cadging his tobacco is a hoot.

Reactions: Bowie

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for the heads up. Set the recording.

Love to know if you think the HD version is better than the DVD. Should be, but the proof is in the pudding.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Thanks for the heads up. Set the recording.

Love to know if you think the HD version is better than the DVD. Should be, but the proof is in the pudding.
Is there a HD channel version of TCM? That would be terrific. My third-tier cable TV provider only has it in HD.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Can't really tell from looking at the broadcast. But Melvyn Douglas is smoking a smart little billiard. Think there's a diamond on the shank.

The salesman for the property has a rather Maine accent, not so much CT.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Blandings’ friend advises that an engineer ought to evaluate the decrepit house:

“What’d your engineer say when he checked the foundation and that roof?”

“Who needs engineers? This isn’t a train you know.”

“I just saw it move.”

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There was a best-selling book back in the (maybe) eighties that was a non-fiction memoire of a couple who built a house from the foundation, and the unending troubles they had. Today there are a number of cable TV shows on building, renovating, and buying houses, though the unending delays and contractor problems are usually smoothed over, probably for legal reasons.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Love this movie.

On a side note. It looks like my Xfinity cable package has now made TCM a subscription only channel. That's unbelievable. So, after years of watching the old movies, now I have to upgrade my cable package to watch TCM.

That's downright "highway robry".

My favorite pipe movie is Captains Courageous. I guess if you're into sail boats, it makes for an even more interesting movie. Lionel Barrymore constantly puffing away on his pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Having a Cooper pipe myself, I can attest to the love for this movie and how it translates into pipe smoking. If I remember right, the old man putting down the flooring in the movie, was smoking what looks to be a Peterson pipe. Might not be best to be smoking while finishing the wood floor?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I was just browsing SP, and in the customer reviews for one of the Kramer's blends, someone makes mention of this flick. Never seen it, but might have to check it out if I get a chance.

Cary Grant is in it, right?

rogers

Mar 9, 2012
Yes, Cary Grant is in it. I recorded it but haven't watched it yet.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Having a Cooper pipe myself, I can attest to the love for this movie and how it translates into pipe smoking. If I remember right, the old man putting down the flooring in the movie, was smoking what looks to be a Peterson pipe. Might not be best to be smoking while finishing the wood floor?
I was wondering if that was a pete. Sure looks like one.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Note also the cutter top tobacco tins!
I’ve got a publicity photo of the scene in Blandings office where Douglas is searching for the tobacco tin in the drawer. The photo is in very sharp focus and the tin he is holding definitely is a cutter top Dunhill My Mixture, but it’s marked #175. I’ve researched that particular blend to no avail. Can’t find it listed anywhere, but I’m still searching. Also, close inspection of the photo with a magnifying glass reveals Douglas smoking a probable Dunhill, while Grant’s pipe appears to be a Kaywoodie. Both high end pipes of the era.

Status
Not open for further replies.