PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
Well folks I'm looking to move my pipe collecting up to the next level. Gone are the days of endless scanning of the 1200 some odd Savinelli's and 1300 or so Peterson's at some online retailer. I'm ready to plunk down the dough to see if the next higher price bracket can end the fustration with having to constantly return pipes because of misdrills, crooked tenons, etc, etc.... (seems like I have to return at least one pipe out of every order!) So I'm ready to stop ordering 2 and 3 $100-$150 pipes at a time and see about those pipes costing $300-$500.
Looking for some guidance from those who have walked this path. No need to tell me how much you enjoy your Pete or your Savs...I enjoy mine too but IMHO the quality is slipping (especially with the Petes) I don't do ebay or estates anymore so I only buy new from reputable dealers.
I am definitely more of a straights guy though slight bends have made it into my collection and I love a smooth finish. I veer toward narrower bowls as I smoke virginias almost exclusively.

I currently have 25 briars including a few artisan pipes (that cost me around $200 a piece)

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Good luck in your quest, my friend. Sadly, I have even heard (well, read) tales of people having to return "high end" pipes due to flaws they were not willing to live with.
I went the other direction-instead of "stepping up" to more expensive pipes, I "stepped down" to relying more and more on Missouri Meerschaum cobs. I have much more control of the end product to get what I want. The shank is inserted wrong? Hit it with a heat gun and re-clock it. Don't like the stem? Replace it with a Danish for 79 cents, or a vulcanite for a few bucks, or a "Forever Stem". Don't like the angle of the bend? Dip it in boiling water and bend it to your preference. Bought a Mark Twain and the chamber is too narrow for you? Grab a bit and open it up to the chamber size you want. The style you like doesn't have a hardwood plug? Saw a section off of a hardwood dowel and install it yourself. And so on. I know this solution is not for everyone, so I'm not "recommending" it, but I am saying it works like a charm for me.
By the way, requesting that people not tell you how much they enjoy their Petes or Savs has virtually guaranteed you an avalanche of Pete and Sav testimonials.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Looking for some guidance from those who have walked this path
Buy vintage/estate, personally I don't own a pipe made after the 60's except my 1 ASPC a few Grabow's and Cobs.
Check out pipestud, or the estate pipes at SPC, that's my 2cent

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
I'm glad I ran into this thread; I'm a newb...and while not a cheapskate, I'm way too frugal to spend MORE than what Petersons and Savinellis's cost. How rampant are the QC issues with these two?

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
@aldecaker

I love my cobs! No doubt about it! But briars are my true love ;)

@pagan

Thanks for the advice. I have moved away from any previously enjoyed estates and will only consider unsmoked one because of past issues. That being said I'm looking at Pipestud as we speak

@whitewolf

Castellos have caught my attention for sure! Do you own any? Any thoughts on them? Radice is on the list too. Tinsky huh?...I'll check them out. Thanks brother. :)

@ThePipeMonk

$500 was sort of my upper limit. Past that I was afraid I might be paying too much of a premium for the "art." Suppose I stretch the budget upwards...who would be your top choice(s) from experience?

@jmagen

Savs and Petes do not have what I would call "rampant" quality issues. Of the two I would recommend Savs head and shoulders over modern Petes. The issues of which I speak are to some minor and not issues at all but to others (like myself) are good reason to reject them. Of the last 3 Petes I purchased I returned all 3 (one for being drilled so low that the draft hole appeared as a deep trench in the bottom of the bowl. One for the draft hole being so high as to leave a good 1/4" of heel underneath and the last one because despite being a higher priced Pete the stain was obviously applied unevenly and even had an unstained spot the size of 2 kernels of corn on the shank.) Of the last 3 Savs I bought only one was returned due to the tenon being installed crooked at the factory such that the bit did not meet the shank flush on one side. I have numerous other Savs that are excellent. Go with Savs is my vote in that price range.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Lonefrog, I would look at getting a Ryan Alden pipe if I were you. He's at Aldenpipes.Com. I own six and they are fantastic smokers.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Poor naive frog. The very idea that more money equates to a better smoker has been discredited many times here. If you must buy on-line, use a reputable dealer with a liberal return policy, and carefully inspect the pipe before smoking. Even that will not guarantee a great pipe. A higher price tag certainly gives you a better shot at a great pipe but, it's no guarantee.
I only purchase in person and over the years have still taken home a pipe or two, perfect in every obvious way, which ends up in the bin. You will learn this lesson. While not a collector I do have a number of pipes, more than one in the four digit price range. I should also note that I am averse to buying used pipes. Nothing to do with health or sanitation worries, I won't buy used cars or clothes either. I simply prefer new.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
@warren

I am well aware that high price does not always translate to a great pipe and I know that one need not spend a lot to get a great smoking pipe. That being said it is the higher grade of briar, greater attention paid to finishing, and hopefully great engineering that is leading me to take a chance on a higher dollar investment. If it doesn't work out...well...I guess my lesson will be learned!

BTW I used to love shopping in person for pipes but the only local shop that carried anything better then no name briars closed this summer after the owner unfortunately succumbed to cancer (not tobacco related.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At that price level, I'd spend some weeks or months studying artisanal pipes to identify those that are high quality, and narrow down those that you especially like, not on a love at first sight basis, but after some time and careful consideration. Also, it would be smart to check with Forums to see how people feel about particular carvers once you have narrowed this down over time. As a second track, you could look at the high end of some of the established brands. I think I would trust Nording to deliver on a higher priced item in terms of elevated quality over their lower priced items, as I would Johs. Anytime you can shop pipes in person, that gives a serious advantage, so if you are near a pipe show, it would be worth the wait, and you could get a better deal. Likewise, I'd at least look at estate pipes, since you can get a lot at that price level, and it's worth looking even if you choose to buy new pipes. Congrats on your strong discretionary spending situation. Get your money's worth!
I'd throw Bob Hayes onto the artisanal roster. He does beautiful work and gave me a head-spinning good deal at a pipe show. I really like Ashton photos; some have criticized the new carvers, but that may just be the usual transitional resistance. Don't overlook the carvers right here at Forums. Some of these are amazing artists.

Artisans:

David Enrique,

Clickklick aka Adam of Carmette Pipes (hes on the forums),

Ryan Alden,

Gustavo Cunha,

Chris Askwith

Max Rimensi of Ill Duca

Mimmo Provenzano

Becker

There are many more pipe makers who do fantastic work in the $500 range.
Brands: Ashton, Radice, Castello, Dunhill to start.
Let me also state that theres nothing wrong with Savinelli or Peterson. They aren't substandard or lower quality. There are people here including me who collect Peterson and actually pay far more than the original costs lots of time for the vintage. For new pipes, anything over $150 is a good deal in Peterson. Savinelli's Punto Oro, Gubilio D'Oro, Autograph and a few more high end pipe ranges are just fantastic.
In the end nothing beats my high end Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I would add just a note or two from the above excellent advice:
MKELaw-Pipes, a forum sponsor (look on left in "Site Sponsors") has some truly great "unsmoked" estates, at good prices.
Next, Claudio Cavicchi, Ser Jacapo, Dunhill (of course) and Ashton (in the Bill Taylor era if you can find them, but the current brand under Jimmy Craig is also outstanding for the price).
Don't overlook Ardor. These are excellent pipes around the price point you mentioned. They are just outstanding smokers IMO.
I don't have a Mark Tinsky pipe, but I own several Boswell pipes. They are wonderful pipes for the money. They all smoke like champs.
But, take the above advice from some of the veteran pipe smokers of this forum. Research, look over the pipes and reflect.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have seen 2-3 Rad Davis unsmoked pipes in recent months. They go for less than $500 too. Many people have exulted them as the best smokers ever. I know I love mine.
Clark Layton pipes, Don Darlos pipes, Il Duca Pipes, Moretti, Trevor Talbert, and Il Ceppo are also very good options. It really depends on what shapes you are chasing. I think we have entered a sort of new renaissance where pipes are concerned. Less are sold overall than yesteryear, but the industry has focused more on artisan pipes. I am happy to be collecting now.
We get to peruse the estate sales for the glorious pipes of yesteryear, while ordering beyond Godly smokers from modern artisans. Good times!
:puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm ready to plunk down the dough to see if the next higher price bracket can end the fustration with having to constantly return pipes because of misdrills, crooked tenons, etc, etc.
Price won't end this. I got rid of a Dunhill for bad drilling. Either have the online retailer do a pipe cleaner test or other inspection you need before you buy, or try to find a local B&M. Cost doesn't always equal quality.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I will also throw Bruce Weaver's name into it. Saw your max price was $500, and a lot of his pieces can be had for that.

img_20160516_134541-600x337.jpg

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am very greatful. The whole idea of spending this much has me keyed up to find the best quality.
@mso489 - I found your advice very helpful, thank you.

@elpfeife. - Ashton huh? I will check into them :)

@The Pipe Monk - That list should keep me busy for a while! Thanks buddy! ;)

@tennsmoker - Also a great list of places to look. I intend to take your and Pipemonks list and apply Mso489's advice!

@wyfbane - I didn't think there would be more after Monk and Tenns advice but here you are with more great suggestions! Thanks :)

@chasingembers - I am worried about that too. I am hoping that my fustrations will be less but I am realistic that they may not end. Never heard of Weaver before...I will check him out! Thanks :)

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Saw you also liked straights. One of Bruce's favorite personal shapes is a Lovat. Give him a call, he's really great to talk to!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Check out Mark Tinsky's site. He makes incredible pipes and you can even commission the exact pipe you want, all for very reasonable prices. If you search the forums, you can check out the two I had commissioned. If you're going to spend that kind of money, why not get exactly what you want? Jesse Jones is another great option! His pipes are around a hundred dollars more per pipe than Tinsky, but I have one of his as well that I commissioned, and it is simply magical! Jesse's pipes run about $375 for a sandblast and $475 for a smooth. You can find him at Blue Room Pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.