Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I really enjoy Arno's blog and was interested to see this latest post detailing a trip he made to Herbert Motzek's shop in Kiel. As a lover of Strang, I really enjoyed this piece and it was a delight to see the photos of the shop. Thought I would share.
https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2015/09/06/marvellous-motzek/

May 31, 2012
Arno kicks ass!

:!:

:puffy:
Which reminds me I need to shoot him an email.
Thanks for the link.
If that stuff ever goes off the market and someone tries to do a match blend,

it should be called Mofo Strange Crazy Curlies!

:P

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
I tried to contact him 2 times with no answer. Wish it was easier to get! Got one stick from HU because he had one and he told me he could sell it to me! What a nice guy! Iwould really need more now that I tasted it. Plus no paypoo or cc on motzek website!

Dec 24, 2012
Vink, when you say you tried to contact him, do you mean you sent him a message in German? He doesn't speak English, so that's what you would need to do. I assume the English messages he gets end up in the same place as the messages I sometimes get in Mandarin -- in the e-mail trash bin.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I sent him an email in English to buy 500 grams and did not get a response. If he were really interested in expanding the sales of his tobacco blends, he would have responded. English is widely used worldwide to conduct business, so it is not inappropriate. I have conversed with Mandarin speakers in English via email, and they do their level best to answer. They for sure want my business. Him, not so much, but that is his choice.

Dec 24, 2012
He is an old guy and doesnt speak the language. he's 70 years old and can sell all the tobacco he makes. I don't think he cares about expanding.
I translated my email I sent him from English into German using Google translate and got a response within a day.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Makes sense. My desire to buy corresponds with his desire to sell to a market he has never sought out, apparently. I think what he is doing is cool, a consummate tobacconist.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Thanks for sharing the blogpost Mr Peck! :)
He is an old guy and doesnt speak the language. he's 70 years old and can sell all the tobacco he makes. I don't think he cares about expanding.
Yup, like you can read, he is even thinking about quitting.. I mean, his shop is now only opened for just 2,5 days per week. So I would be fast to order some of that Strang :mrgreen:
About ordering, this is from Pipesmokersforum member Snow Hill:

I have been able to piece together this info about ordering online from Motzek's site:
700 gram limit = $123.30

Shipping = $32.96

Money transfer via Xoom = $4.99

Total, $161.25 or $23.06 per 100 grams
Check out at the website, guest is fine. The only option available for USA residents is a money transfer. Once you check out, Motzek will email you the bank account info. Xoom is an inexpensive way to send money. It takes about a week to a week and a half for it be delivered. There's the possibility of a VAT of 19% coming after the fact.

Which reminds me I need to shoot him an email.

You should Troy! :wink:

Dec 24, 2012
I hear you on that Arno. I have over 2 lbs of the stuff cellared with another 2 lbs on the way, for that very reason. The Strang is one of only 3 tobaccos I am actively cellaring at the moment.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
I hear you on that Arno. I have over 2 lbs of the stuff cellared with another 2 lbs on the way, for that very reason. The Strang is one of only 3 tobaccos I am actively cellaring at the moment.
4 lbs.. No idea, let's convert that to kilo.. 8O !!! 1.8 kilo!!! :worship: Oh wait, weren't you the one with the "tobacco-closet of legends"? Whenever my girlfriend thinks I have a lot I show a picture of your stash :mrgreen:

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Any guesses? I will give you a hint: None of the three blends is an Esoterica blend.
Found someone on tobacco cellar with the same nickname, who happens to have a shit load of best brown flake ;) don't remember the other one as the guy seems to have a shit load of everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.