Most Sought After Unicorns...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

It’s really distorted. Penzance, and all of the Esotericas sell out as fast as they get posted. Many of the GHco blends too. But, these get shipped in such small quantities. So, the distortion is that “most” pupe smokers want them. But, the reality is that Molto Dolce and 1Q sell way more, but they don’t sell out because those blends are actually meet demand with great production.
Now, I’m not blaming these English companies, but they “may” just not be as in demand as many aromatics that are always in stock.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Esoterica blends are the most sought after, in no small measure, because they are shipped in limited quantities. Penzance was a popular blend before the madness began, but in 2006, or 2007, Germain’s missed several shipments, and when Penzance finally showed up the feeding frenzy began. It has never stopped.
Instead, other blends became enveloped in the continuing frenzy, first Stonehaven, then Dunbar, and now, most of the line.
They are particularly sought after by Asian buyers, who will drop serious cash to obtain them.
The Psychopathy of Scarcity is in full force with these blends. In the past few years this state of affairs has gotten worse, as more speculators grab stock to flip and as more retailers get into the action, making it more difficult to obtain at “retail”.
I don’t see anything like this behavior happening with any other blends still in production.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
What does everyone believe to be the most sought after pipe blends that are still currently in production?
One of the top has to be Penzance. What others?
Gawith Full Virginia Flake
Gawith St James Flake
Gawith Best Brown Flake

Wessex Curly Block went really fast this year. Lots of Wessex blends in general are pretty hard to come by regularly.

Pure Perique is fairly hard to get usually.

Germain’s flakes are hard to find and sell fast when they drop.

I’m sure I’m missing many but that’s about all I can think of off the top for current production blends.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
All the Esoterica of course, but also other Germain production when available like Smoker's Haven blends and their own Germain line.

I would add to a lesser degree some recent K&K shortages of Solani 633, Reiner LGF, the Rattray's favorites of HotW, Marlin, Old Gowrie, etc. F&T's CVP.

Some Dan (DTM) names as well have been scarce.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
For me it was Esoterica Kingsbridge. Wow, got hooked on that one years ago and now...

But have been thinking that perhaps we ought to thank our asian friends who pay outrageous prices for various tobaccos (and pipes): are they helping to keep production alive? Is that flourishing market doing wonders for the handful of us in the West who watch as fewer and fewer tobaccos are available? Just a thought.

Reactions: FLDRD and Sobrbiker

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
All the Esoterica of course, but also other Germain production when available like Smoker's Haven blends and their own Germain line.

I would add to a lesser degree some recent K&K shortages of Solani 633, Reiner LGF, the Rattray's favorites of HotW, Marlin, Old Gowrie, etc. F&T's CVP.

Some Dan (DTM) names as well have been scarce.
All of those are regularly available at Esterval’s.