PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
I'm sure that this thread is nearing its end, so no better time than now to clarify the original question.
Are we looking for the most famous person who has smoked a pipe, or the person who is most famous FOR smoking a pipe?
I'd say the greatest pipe ambassador in entertainment was Bing Crosby. It's hard to imagine him without one and he seemed to defy the popular perception that pipes are dirty, smelly things. When he smoked he looked CLEAN!
I ask the question because many, many famous people have been snapped with a pipe in their kisser, often stuffed in for publicity purposes.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I see so I will say you are correct in picking Bing Crosby but I also say Chesty Puller of the USMC

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
I agree about the "old groaner." Bing was a great ambassador (sp?) for us all. What I would really like to know is what kind of tobacco these guys smoked. I know President Ford smoked Carter Hall, but I have no idea what Stalin or Einstein did. Nor Bing for that matter.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
You know I have read this post top to bottom but probably in my opinion the most influential and popular pipe smoker is know by all young and old and has touched the hearts of at least 3 out of 4 people. Mr. Walt Disney.
walt-disney-smoking-pipe.jpg

This is the picture most have seen of him smoking a pipe.
This next one is a very young Walt on the right.

oswald-19.jpg

mrhooker93

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2011
Blues Guitarist - Albert King

Rock n Roll pianist - Jerry Lee Lewis AKA "The Killer"

Author's - William Faulkner, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien

Former President - Gerald Ford

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Oldmooner, I'd always read that Ford smoked Field & Stream.
My hunch would be Einstien, by a long shot.

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
jpberg-I saw an article in "Pipes and Tobacco" magazine showing Ford wearing a dressing gown (robe), holding his pipe and there was a pouch of Carter Hall in the picture. It was mentioned in the article as well. That doesn' mean, of course, that he did not also smoke Field and Stream. Knowing some of the personalities of these famous folk, I just think it would be interesting to know what they smoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.