PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Saw this at the Grabow site:

View attachment 269143

This isn’t a model by model breakdown, but they are making 200,000 pipes a year. Perhaps this could be a starting point in figuring this out.

I also found this blurb on the net, but I was unable to access the site from which it came:

View attachment 269145

Also found this at smoking pipes in regards to Savinelli:

View attachment 269146

And finally, here is what I saw about Missouri Meerschaum:

View attachment 269153

Good investigative work!
Even as numbers fluctuate, I'd bet that relative sales among these contenders remains in that order.
Which is similar to what many of us guessed.

Reactions: Ryan

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Kind of impossible to really figure out. Best bet would be to ask the makers directly and what they're top three sellers are. At the least you could get a confident idea of what shape or style is most sold. My guess is there is probably not a real clear leader. It probably varies from year to year.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Ahi Ka Probably because they break so easily:) I broke one in Nantwich emptying the ash out in a pub ashtray:-( One of the Sealed Knot re-enactors showed me how to tap the ash out of a clay pipe by GENTLY tapping the pipe against the back of my hand:)

Tap the pipe on the inside of your hand, the palm of your hand is softer. ;)

The back of your hand being harder, that could hurt wacking a pipe on it.

Reactions: The Clay King

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
The most popular pipe is the one I smoke the most. I'm spit balling here, but I'd say that's true for everyone, so if you lump all those together, in total, you'd have a meaningless number. So in the end, it's irrelevant. But, I honestly, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: orvet

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Based on speculation and commentary, Pipes By Lee and Marxman have probably seen a huge spike this past year in the secondary market.

It’s not stopped me from winning this square panel “Big Boy” for $27 and postage.

IMG_6017.jpeg

That pipe likely weighs over 80 grams, it was made from a huge block of the best Algerian briar, cured and aged for maybe a decade before it was made, and when new it cost the equivalent of $300 today.

If it was stamped Custombilt it might still fetch hundreds of dollars.

Lees and Marxmans are still bargains.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
It’s not stopped me from winning this square panel “Big Boy” for $27 and postage.

View attachment 269382

That pipe likely weighs over 80 grams, it was made from a huge block of the best Algerian briar, cured and aged for maybe a decade before it was made, and when new it cost the equivalent of $300 today.

If it was stamped Custombilt it might still fetch hundreds of dollars.

Lees and Marxmans are still bargains.
I rest my case, your Honor ! 👨‍⚖️