PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I've got a great idea, or at least what I consider to be a great idea for a new style of pipe racks. I was just wondering what were the best sizes of pipe racks to consider working with, I really just need to know what is the most common and purchased sized racks. After I get down my own style and process I will start making them in whatever size people request, but for now I just want to know what the most popular pipe rack size is.
Thanks for any and all help,

Shayde

kwaifan

Lurker
Nov 16, 2013
Hello. New here. Dunno you'll get many satisfactory answers. The ones I've seen on Ebay run the gamut from 3 pipes to 56 pipes and up. No idea which ones are the most popular. Personally, I'd like a 7-pipe rack, 1 for each day of the week. I'd also like something modular so I could expand (7, 21, 28, 35, etc.)

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
I personally would suggest a modular type set up i neither 6 or 12 pipe "stacks", with your base "stack" and then an easily method to grow your rack.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I would say 7 and 14 to correspond with the week. Make easy weekly rotations. Just makes sense in my head. Although I have never seen one in those numbers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I would say 7 and 14 to correspond with the week. Make easy weekly rotations. Just makes sense in my head. Although I have never seen one in those numbers.
Yes, oddly, 6 & 12 space racks seem to be the most popular.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
@ nscoyote; I think the 7 pipe "stack able" or modular adaptability is a good idea. It would be nice to start off with a nice quality rack, then as your Pipe Acquisition Disorder starts to consume you, the pipe smoker can add on to his/her pipe rack with matching sections to accommodate the expanding collection.

unclefester13

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
Seven is probably the lucky number, one for each day, but I guess for collectors and pipe men with PAD the bigger the better. I just ordered one for sixty, lol.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
@ nscoyote; I think the 7 pipe "stack able" or modular adaptability is a good idea. It would be nice to start off with a nice quality rack, then as your Pipe Acquisition Disorder starts to consume you, the pipe smoker can add on to his/her pipe rack with matching sections to accommodate the expanding collection.
exactly! multiples of 7 that can be fit together end to end or stacked. I also much prefer the 'open' hole unit verses wrestling the stems through a little hole.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I have one with open holes, and my pipes consistently fall out of their slots. Also, the slots are too close together, so it's hard to fit average size pipes in there.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Modular design would be the 'killer app' in my mind, definitely multiples of 7. Like dochud above, I prefer the open hole model and wider spacing to accommodate my pots and princes and the freehands I'm starting to lust after.

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
I have one with open holes, and my pipes consistently fall out of their slots. Also, the slots are too close together, so it's hard to fit average size pipes in there.

a bristle friction pad simaler to whats used on high end fishign rod vertical racks could be accomodated into the open hole design to maintain a positive lock while allowign ease of use

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Increments of 7 would be my preference as well. A modular system would be nice, but I also see some dilemma with varieties of it. That being stained versions. A stained wood that was finished today will age, and therefore be a different shade a year or two from now. If at that time one chooses to add a new section on then you will hve a variation in colors. This won't matter to some, but will to others(I fall in here). Of course if there are painted then this problem doesn't exist. Just something to think about in a modular design. I also prefer the open slots. I have a circular rack with open holes, and have no issues with a pipe not easily standing in it. Purchased a couple of antique racks with the drilled holes. I despise that design and don't use them at all.

B

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
36 is a number I see quite often and that is what my big rack holds. I also have two small racks that hold 6 each. From what I see being sold the racks go in these numbers. 6,12,18,24,36,40. I see increments of 6 as the most popular for some reason.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I've already been planning out a "Modular" pipe rack, I'm actually starting on the prototype for that and another idea tomorrow. Once I perfect them they will be available for purchase.

However, like Pipebow88 said they would most likely need to be painted and not stained (as the stain will age). I will be deeply researching and several trials will be conducted to find a way around this issue, it's my desire to stain them but I doing so would lower product quality than I may not. What color or colors would you guys like to see for a "modular" pipe rack?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
It's occurred to me that since we never really know how many racks we'll need (I never imagined I would need more than the six-rack I started with) that racks that can hang on the wall might be desirable. Plenty of room that way, although somewhat inconvenient to hang. But there's always wall space to hang them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.