PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
The town in which I live is the home of the famous Mt. Auburn cemetery in which many, many, famous people are interred or entombed. It is a gorgeous spot which is, believe it or not, a tremendous tourist attraction and is beloved by gardeners and bird watchers most especially. It is one of America's first garden cemeteries. In the 1800s people regularly would go there for picnics. People are also frequently married there as well....the circle of life (last I knew a one person plot at Mt. Auburn goes for $30,000. Expensive underground real estate!)

Mortamyhr

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
Living in Nashville, it’s hard to find a cemetery that DOESN’T have a well-known person in it. The cool thing is, if there is a funeral home or cemetery office attached, most provide a tour map upon request with the more well-known gravesites marked. I’ve always loved cemeteries. Particularly old ones. One of the things that propelled me into funeral service.

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Living in Nashville, it’s hard to find a cemetery that DOESN’T have a well-known person in it. The cool thing is, if there is a funeral home or cemetery office attached, most provide a tour map upon request with the more well-known gravesites marked. I’ve always loved cemeteries. Particularly old ones. One of the things that propelled me into funeral service.
I have always loved cemeteries too. Not morbid or anything like that. An interesting cemetery is a place for thought and reflection, and peace and quiet. For nearly 20 years I drove each day down a road which had large cemeteries on either side. Every day I found that the trip reduced worry and stress. Under every headstone was someone who, at one time or another, was worried about something. Perspective is a very good thing...

Mortamyhr

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
I have always loved cemeteries too. Not morbid or anything like that. An interesting cemetery is a place for thought and reflection, and peace and quiet. For nearly 20 years I drove each day down a road which had large cemeteries on either side. Every day I found that the trip reduced worry and stress. Under every headstone was someone who, at one time or another, was worried about something. Perspective is a very good thing...
Yes! You are spot on. There is something so very peaceful about being in or near a cemetery just to collect one’s thoughts.

Also, what a positive view on life and death!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Quite a few here in Louisville. Let me check my IG right quick for some examples...

IMG_7137.jpeg
IMG_7139.jpeg
IMG_7140.jpeg
Of course there's also Muhammad Ali and numerous other notables.

The only one outside my namesakes that I visit regularly though is the grave of Mia Zapata. A cherished but widely unheralded daughter of the Derby City. Her story is mighty sad. She gets a flower or two every birthday, August 25.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Was he around during the era “Field of Dreams” was supposed to be?
No. The "Field of Dreams" era with Shoeless Joe Jackson was 1919. Lundgren played from 1902-1909. Pretty close though.