PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Peck, Soy, thank you.
No pipemaker, no matter the skill level, should be above listening to comments from their customers on how better to serve them. Often the only feedback is the oohs and aahs, and while appreciated, it's not very constructive.
So, more organic shapes, fewer white stems coming soon. Thank you for helping me to improve my work!

Reactions: Mookie27

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm limiting my lists to carvers whose pipes I own (or in the case of least favorite, USED TO OWN).
Favorites

Scott Thile

Grant Batson

Andy Petersen

Charles Cole

Jeff Gracik

Wayne Teipen

Nate King

Russ Cook

Ryan Alden
Least Favorite

Boswell - though I appreciate the fact that he sells them cheaply, they seem too cheaply made for my tastes.

Tom Eltang - yes, I know he's considered to be a Danish Master, but I used to own one of his signature rusticated pokers. The stem was too rounded so that it rolled around between your teeth and was incredibly uncomfortable. There was also a HUGE gap between the end of the tenon and the bottom of the mortice. Both are, in my opinion, signs that the carver didn't bother to pay attention to detail.
JJ

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I would have to say that some of my favorites are:
Mark Tinsky - Mark is a pipe making machine. He can turn out a one of a kind unique or a custom shape with ease. He is "old school" when it comes to pipe making. I see a lot of up and comers that have to "feel the briar" and then kind of go with the flow in order to determine what it will "turn into to" when they complete the pipe. They do not have the ability to consistently make one shape. With Mark, you can send him a picture of a Costello, Ser Jaq., Dunhill, "insert your favorite shape here", and Mark can reproduce it, (and in a lot of cases make it look even better than the original). Because of his ability to produce the same shape, or shape on demand with ease, his pricing stays very consistent. (Unlike many new carvers who have to try to get a very high price on a few well made pipes in order to keep going and to make up for the ones that do not turn out so well). Mark also is a very unique businessman by today's standards. Those that have purchased from him can tell you that he is one of the few that will send the pipe before he even receives payment. His return policy is second to none. I do not remember the last time Mark did a pipe show, but I do remember that the last one I saw him at, he only brought a few pipes and a sketch pad. By the time he left the show, he had well over a dozen custom orders. He paid his dues and now, IMHO, is one of the top all around artisans in the business today.
Paul Bonacquisti - Much along the same lines as Mark, Paul always puts out a quality pipe. He may not produce "pipe on demand" shapes, but he has developed his own style and consistently puts those shapes out. (Anyone that sees one of his Sabbia Churchwardens knows immediately that it's a Bonacquisti). Unfortunately or fortunately, (depending on how you look at it), Paul is busy running Park Lane and doesn't put product out like he used to.
Michael Parks - For all of the reasons already listed.
Many of the others already listed are among my list of favorites as well.
Least Favorite - Not any artisan in particular, but pretty much any new artisan that has only been around for a couple of years and feels that their work is worth an outrageous price. I guess that there is a sucker out there willing to pay five, six or more hundred dollars for a virtual unknown, but I guess that there will always be people that prove P.T. Barnum was right.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
ADDENDUM:

I've been avoiding one of the other threads that's currently going on, but I neglected to mention both Pete Prevost and Todd Johnson. I have pipes by both (as well as the very first Icarus pipe) and both make outstanding pipes. And another vote for Joe Nelson!
As for least favorite, there was a guy on the forum awhile back who carved pipes out of firewood, which would normally just be ridiculous. But this guy then went ahead and bragged how, when his dog picked up a partially finished pipe and began chewing on it, he beat the dog with a log.
Yeah, that guy is my least favorite.

Dan Gabrieli Pipes, I loved the interactions with him, and he really listened to what I was wanting, met my desire, and even was able to add his own aesthetic to the design. The stem work and huge stacked dublin bowl is what has me grabbing this pipe several times a week, especially when I am going somewhere with a tie and jacket. It is my absolute favorite, and I am looking forward to having one of his bulldogs as soon as I finish paying for the two prom dresses that my daughters are costing me.
Brad Rowley of Growley, I have one of his bamboo pokers and it is such an easy smoker and fits my shirt pocket perfectly. Having handled many of his pipes when he visits the Briary, I love the smallness of his pipes and his vision. He just makes them sing to me.
Skip Elliot is a friend of mine, so take that into concideration. But, for someone who has been doing this for so long, he still has that neophyte excitement about starting each pipe. And, dagnabbit he sells them before the stain is dry, so I never get a chance to buy them unless I pay for it before it leaves the lathe.
Paulo Becker, I just have three, but each and very one has it's own unique way that it wants to be smoked. I love the way he thought outside the box and interpreted the shape. I was told that his son actually had made the pipes that I have, so I loll forward to how he takes the Becker name forward.
I don't have a Walt Connoy, but I for one am not tired of the white stems. I keep waiting for one to come along in the style that I like. They just sell so dead gun fast! And while they are out of my price range, those bamboo meers make my testes tingle. Just the picture evoke pipegasms! Beautiful!!
I'm not sure where we draw the line between pipe maker and pipe company, but I do have others that stand in the middle of that line that I love. Northern Briars, Jepperson's Neerups, etc, very affordable with nice detail.
There's not a single pipe on my rack or waiting to be racked that I don't love with all of my heart. But, there are pipe makers that just don't make pipes that appeal to me. I look for someone who is easy to work with, and has a personality that appeals to me. For someone to get into such a personal experience as making pipes for people, they need to give their customers the feeling that giving then that pile of cash went to someone that deserves my months worth of scraping and saving. I am not rich by any means, so this is a big deal. I don't spend as much money on anything else. I may never own a fancy sports car or custom tailored suit, custom musical instruments, or even a computer with a OS that is even currently the latest version, but I can scrape and save and have the Ferrari of pipes. It's my only luxury. So, this is a big deal to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just looked at some of Connoy's work. I like the white stems. Kinda sets them apart.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Skip Elliot is a friend of mine, so take that into concideration. But, for someone who has been doing this for so long, he still has that neophyte excitement about starting each pipe. And, dagnabbit he sells them before the stain is dry, so I never get a chance to buy them unless I pay for it before it leaves the lathe.
I heard a rumor once that Skip doesn't even smoke a pipe. If true it makes his craftsmanship all the more amazing.

Did I start that rumor, ha ha! I have seen him smoke a pipe, but like only once maybe. The joke around the place was that he doesn't smoke a pipe, but I think he just smokes when the mood hits him. When you spend 365 days a year around pipe guys and cigars, your cravings to smoke probably are about as lustful as a gynecologist's.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A thought provoking thread!
Favorites:

Chris Askwith

Trevor Tablert

I have their hand-finished pipes for those two makers and the craftsmanship is outstanding. Acquiring their top line product is definitely on my short list

Jack Howell - my two Howell stems are tops in my cabinet

Chris Asteriou - I don't own one, but wow, the ones I've handled were magnificent

Ryan Alden - I've not seen one in the flesh, but his shaping is to my liking
Not my cup of tea:

Rad Davis - I've owned and resold two. Something didn't click for me, in the smoking department

JM Boswell - styling is too clunky

Jake Hackert - same

Grant Batson - shapes and finishes don't do it for me.

Reactions: greeneyes

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I own only factory crafted pipes with the exception of custom cobs made for me by Ricco Santia.
I'm marking this thread as a favorite, in the event I change my mind.
Pax

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Most Favorite
Alexander Ponomarchuk -- A Ukrainian pipemaker, he makes excellent smoking pipes with thin, comfortable stems and butter-smooth airways. He's also great at capturing straight grain. In addition, he has some really unique designs, like his "Aviator" nosewarmers and his elaborately carved rustications. Very talented and his pipes are difficult to find. I own one of his earlier pipes, a Liverpool that smokes perfectly every time. At the moment he's been making lots of curvy potato-sac style pipes, which I don't care for, but his more traditional shapes (billiards, dublins, etc.) are really attractive.
ponomarchuk7.jpg

Ponomarchuk2.jpg

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I would like to Abe Herbaugh to the list of favorites. I have some Thiles, some Rads, some Tinskys,etc and the one Herbaugh is as good a smoker as the best of them. It is also beautiful. Graceful flowing lines, finish to die for that matches the cumberland stem perfectly.
ssjones - if that was your long Rad Davis I bought on ebay, I have found it to be a glorious smoker. Different strokes, I guess.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Peck, you might want to check out some of J&J's new pipes like the one in the link below. It's right up your ally I think. They are evolving into some fine artisans IMO.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/j-and-j/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=170809

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks. Certainly a nice blast on that one. Truth be told, I am not a "plateau guy" but I will keep a lookout for something of theirs that catches my eye. Perhaps in Chicago.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
So many great carvers.
I'd like to mention:
Andy Peterson

Thomas James

Julius Vesz

Joe Hinkle

Scott Thile

Joe Nelson

Lee Von Erck

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Whew! I don't think I made anyone's least favorite list, thank goodness. But I didn't make anyone's favorite list either. Sigh.
CACooper

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
For favorites I will stick with carvers I have actually owned, my list of pipe I wish I owned is too long.
Trever Talbert - sense of design and proportion, able to execute anything from the most traditional to the most fantastical, haven't had a single pipe that does not smoke well
Chris Askwith - excellent command of the classic shapes but able to add modern style without imposing upon what made the shape great in the first place
Maigurs Knets - unabashedly fearless and creative while maintaining excellent design aesthetic and displaying the attention to detail expected of a master
Least favorite
Boswell - the aesthetic and often the size simply do not appeal to me although I am sure they are fine smokers and I know they have a large following
Lars Ivarsson - I can't believe I actually just typed that name in regards to a least favorite question but his particular style just does not do it for me
Erik Nording - even if it came from his personal bench I am just not a fan of freehands or his aesthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.