PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I say you can take the stem out when done. But if it is offering more resistance then normal then wait. If the resistance is not noticeably different then normal good to go. The military mount from my understanding was more a repair job using shells (not sea by the way) to fix broken shanks as on ole jury rigging. It just happened to have some great advantages.
Had no idea, but makes sense to put on a metal cover to repair a cracked shank

Reactions: anotherbob

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I clean the mortise every time I clean the shank. I've seen to many caked up mortises in estate pipes to want to my pipes to end up that way.
I have a few 50-100yo estate pipes. Believe me some have taken me several hours to clear the mortise and airways of accumulated mortise muck.
Obviously well-loved and smoked to death, but they were so dirty and clogged up that I can't believe their previous owners got any enjoyment from those pipes. They must have been smoking for the nicotine alone, as the flavour would have been putrid

Reactions: mingc

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Glad I dug and found this thread! The stem of my Savinelli Mattone 601 bent billiard has been getting more difficult to remove from the shank. It's a young pipe (less than two years old, and no more than 50 bowls smoked in all), but it is my dedicated aromatic pipe after all, so I suppose I should've expected mortise muck to be culpable here. It didn't look like much at first glance, but I can see by how common a problem this is that I should get some Everclear and go for a deep clean.

Question: how long should I let it dry out for?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Glad I dug and found this thread! The stem of my Savinelli Mattone 601 bent billiard has been getting more difficult to remove from the shank. It's a young pipe (less than two years old, and no more than 50 bowls smoked in all), but it is my dedicated aromatic pipe after all, so I suppose I should've expected mortise muck to be culpable here. It didn't look like much at first glance, but I can see by how common a problem this is that I should get some Everclear and go for a deep clean.

Question: how long should I let it dry out for?
no real dry time. Not if you q-tip it out. More of a how many q-tips will you need then drying time.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yep, that makes sense. Just re-watched Muttnchop Piper's three part tutorial, to refresh my mind. Will undoubtedly be going through several Q-tips and pipe cleaners. Damn goopy aros.
better then years and years of not even thinking about that part of the pipe when cleaning. Trust me on that. And wondering why that pipe just doesn't seem to deliver flavor anymore.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for bringing back this thread.

Mortise muck is something that so many are not aware of or overlook. Just bought an estate pipe from a well-respected dealer south of L.A. and they didn't give the mortise the love I would have hoped. A few hours of netflix, 100ml of everclear, and about 100 q-tips later and it's almost ready to go.

EDIT: To be clear, I love the pipe, it was almost ready, but that last step needed to be done. Not blaming the shop as most I have bought from don't know.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Shine a bright light down the mortise/shank. You'll be surprised how much tar/muck can still be present, even when cleaners come out looking "clean".
I'm constantly surprised how much tars and muck can get ingrained after years and decades of smoking.
Of course, if it's a pipe that you have been smoking a few years only, that may not be the case.
The clean smoking experience after all that work is really worthwhile.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Shine a bright light down the mortise/shank. You'll be surprised how much tar/muck can still be present, even when cleaners come out looking "clean".
I'm constantly surprised how much tars and muck can get ingrained after years and decades of smoking.
Of course, if it's a pipe that you have been smoking a few years only, that may not be the case.
The clean smoking experience after all that work is really worthwhile.
Thanks for that point. Merely looking at the mortise area superficially was not giving me the info that I needed! Two years of exclusively aromatics...once I took a moment to think logically about it, it made sense immediately. This was my first "real" pipe, so I'm certainly inclined to take the best care of it I can. It's all a learning journey for me!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Stem is still pretty tight, even after the Everclear treatment to the shank. Hmmm...
Tight is not a bad thing. Unless you think the shank is likely to crack or you think you’re likely to snap off the tenon trying to break it down or something. All of my Savinellis have a pretty snug mortise/tenon fit. Tighter than any of my other pipes. I kind of like that because if the fit changes, it’s usually only to get looser. I know I’ve seen you mention having a Sav Miele before. How does the fit compare to that one?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Tight is not a bad thing. Unless you think the shank is likely to crack or you think you’re likely to snap off the tenon trying to break it down or something. All of my Savinellis have a pretty snug mortise/tenon fit. Tighter than any of my other pipes. I kind of like that because if the fit changes, it’s usually only to get looser. I know I’ve seen you mention having a Sav Miele before. How does the fit compare to that one?
The Miele's fit is much looser than the Mattone's, but not loose the the point of concern. The noticeable difference between the two is why I'm a bit perplexed.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Many years ago when I first started buying & restoring estate pipes I used an inspection beam flashlight to check out any residual junk in the mortise/shank. I quickly learned that I needed more than Q-tips & Everclear to efficiently remove the buildup. I then bought a dental scraper similar to this to help clean the mortise/shank:

Joy Pet 6-1/2-Inch Double Headed Tarter Remover/Scraper, Stainless

It's astonishing how much gunk builds up in the mortise/shank!
And I've also been amazed by what I see when I use the inspection beam flashlight to look down the shank of a brand-new unsmoked cob!

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Retort till clear. Then Q tips, more Q tips and follow that up with more Q tips

Status
Not open for further replies.