Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dottlejockey

Can't Leave
I only own one but with the exception of being an interesting material, it's really no different than any other pipe. I'll likely not buy another. Not terribly scarce, many carvers won't deal with it as it's easily cracked when being worked.

Andrey Kharitonov
$150
View attachment 312060
That is a WILD stem. What is it, exactly? Striking pipe, btw. ;)

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Interesting, but shouldn’t it be many in the market out there which are made to look like old? I would imagine that it is not common nor easy to fin prehistorical woods and if one does it would cost a fortune? Or am I incorrect?
Century old Irish morta pipes appear on EBay occasionally. They don’t go a lot of money

My first couple of mortas were Morettis which I bought from his EBay shop. Good quality and excellent value. I recommend them if you have an itch that needs scratching

Reactions: epazikas

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Century old Irish morta pipes appear on EBay occasionally. They don’t go a lot of money

My first couple of mortas were Morettis which I bought from his EBay shop. Good quality and excellent value. I recommend them if you have an itch that needs scratching
Lots of morta goes into pen blanks.

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Interesting, but shouldn’t it be many in the market out there which are made to look like old? I would imagine that it is not common nor easy to fin prehistorical woods and if one does it would cost a fortune? Or am I incorrect?
Morta, or Bog Oak is not rare or very expensive.
There is not Bog Oak everywhere, but where it is, there is a lot of it.
Its a right place, right time thing.
If conditions are right in the bog, the trees become mortafied. :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
In addition to old trees, bogs have also preserved countless human artifacts deposited there long ago as a sacrifice to the gods. In Denmark, over a hundred human bodies have also been exhumed from bogs, most bearing signs of having been slaughtered to appease the gods. If you ever find yourself in DK, be sure to visit one of the several museums dedicated to early human history. I visited one of them many years ago, but don’t remember the name. Maybe this one?

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have a morta Cannonball, I'd say it's between a briar and a meer in terms of smoking characteristics. It did develop a crack in the mortise, its propagation has been slowed somewhat by the installation of a band. The vendor replaced the pipe, and I asked for a briar in the same style. I'll probably not purchase another.

rmcnabb

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2024
I've worked so much oak in so many different forms and capacities from firewood to fine home furnishings, that I'm mortally afraid of oak splinters. I can't look at some of the photos I've seen of morta pipes without reaching for a pair of leather gloves.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Well, the morta pipe has a hole in it. Bits of rustication (on the outside) near the bottom of the bowl have started to splinter away and now looking down into the bowl I can see my feet. It's a pretty deep bowl and the wall size seems a bit thin in that location probably contributing to the situation. This may have been a bad piece of morta, the vendor has taken care of me and it did last 3 years, so no complaints. I will not replace it with another morta pipe.

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
Well, the morta pipe has a hole in it. Bits of rustication (on the outside) near the bottom of the bowl have started to splinter away and now looking down into the bowl I can see my feet. It's a pretty deep bowl and the wall size seems a bit thin in that location probably contributing to the situation. This may have been a bad piece of morta, the vendor has taken care of me and it did last 3 years, so no complaints. I will not replace it with another morta pipe.
I understand, nothing can last forever…. I think I gave up the idea to buy a morta pipe someday… I will keep with my favorite brands which are Peterson and Nørding…well now I am enjoying a lot El Dagner …