PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
I don’t experience the “morta taste” at all. It really smokes like a meerschaum to me. Just took a hot bath and sparked mine up. As for what happens to the tars and resins that it absorbs...I guess i’ll just have to wait and see. I Am considering purchasing a second one for my rotation, I think it would look great with a black stem. So far I am in love with this material, though I certainly am not getting rid of my briar pipes, or going strictly morta from here on out.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I have one Moretti Morta and it is a great pipe. I only smoke Lat blends out of it because Morta has a unique taste that adds to the flavor of Latakia.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have several Morta pipes that I’ve had for number of years. Other than the look of the material, which I think is quite appealing, I don’t think they offer a distinct advantage over a briar pipe in performance.

First of all, not taking time to break it in is a mistake as far as I’m concerned. It’s hardwood, and it will burn and char if you smoke it as if it was made of clay or meerschaum. Wetting the inside of the bowl lightly before smoking the first several times will help to keep it from charring. And smoking gently until a thin layer of cake builds is a good practice. Wiping the inside of the bowl after it cools is a good practice; however it’s not necessary to remove every last bit of cake. It will help insulate the wall of the bowl, which will get hotter than a briar because of the inclusion of mineral sediments.

As for smoking multiple bowls back to back, without worrying about moisture, I let my pipes cool and dry out somewhat just as I would a briar.

Morta is an organic material. While it has some mineralization, it is not indestructible.

Incidentally, hardwoods tend to grow at an accelerated rate compared to briar, and tend to have a number of hidden soft spots. These soft spots tend to burn through if the temperature is pushed in bowl of a pipe.

Just relating some personal experience, I’m not a PhD in Botany, or the science of Wood...

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I have 3 mortas -- a VT Freehand, a Moonshine, and a Rattray's -- and they are among my favorites (I only wish they had vulcanite stems). Love the weight, the feel, and the flavor-neutrality. I think they do wonderfully with any blend I throw at them, and have never experienced any weird flavor. But I am drawn to bog oak in general and its rich history.

Skip Elliot makes some pipes out of Orange Osage. They are beautiful, but once again... I'll live vicariously on that one too.

I wonder occasionally, if I smoke more to enjoy my pipes or the tobacco. I am just one that looks for the subtle aroma of the briar in my smoke, as much as pulling out the pay on individual leaves in the blend... sometimes.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have one remaining Morta pipe. I like it and it will stay in the collection. I had two, but gave the other one away. I think they are worth it overall and probably good to have one in rotation, but I won't be buying or chasing Morta going forward.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
My one morta is a Todd Harris Panel Lovat. I got it from Kyle, who does reviews on this site.

Mine does get very hot, very quickly, if not careful. That said, the walls of this one are incredibly thin.

It's been a good cadence training aid for me. It cleans up easily and looks nice, IMO. I use it maybe once a month, usually with burley flake.

I'm happy to have it in my rotation as a representative example ("token" black pipe? rotf) but am not likely to seek another.

View attachment 15305

View attachment 15304
I have that exact pipe along with a small Il Duca morta. Both are good smokers. I like the Duca as a travel pipe because they are bullet proof.

Reactions: Dissident_Mantis
Status
Not open for further replies.