PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
It sure was the wonder material of the day. It’s still widely used also, we can’t manufacture it here in the USA but companies can still buy and use it and Mexico is still one of the worlds largest producer of asbestos and works with Russia to keep the industry alive. P.S. I hate asbestos

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I know most of the Morgan Pipes discussed are the Bones. I can't speak to them as I've never had one, but a few years ago I came across one of Morgan's BlackJack pipes at a very reasonable price. I liked the shape so I picked it up, and have never regretted it. It not only smokes great, but because of this pipes stem design, it's very comfortable to clench. I'm not sure if they're still made, but I don't think you could go wrong with one.
View attachment 88270
That is a lovely looking pipe IMO.
I have two stubby Bones 9mm really good clenchers smoke great .

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
I now have 7 of Chris Morgan's Bones series pipes. All are great smokers and I enjoy each of them. the flaws , if any are minor natural flaws or blemishes in the briar that do not affect the way the pipes smokes at all. They are great smokers and comfortable to smoke. I will most likely purchase more of them in the future. I wish tht I could get a couple of his Blackjack series pipes, but haven't been lucky enough to find any yet!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I do have some of them. Don't smoke them often since moving on to Peterson. Even when I have Peterson packed away, I would reach for MM more than bones. The main reason is the stem. Nothing wrong with them. They are just fat and wide. Isn't really my favorite while being clenched. Other than that, they smoke fine and are at good price point for what they are.

Reactions: ksman75

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
It sure was the wonder material of the day. It’s still widely used also, we can’t manufacture it here in the USA but companies can still buy and use it and Mexico is still one of the worlds largest producer of asbestos and works with Russia to keep the industry alive. P.S. I hate asbestos
I'm pretty sure it's still used on the space shuttles. It's an amazing insulator.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
I don't own a Morgan, but people seem to be loyal to them, sort of like Jeep owners. I think the no-nonsense style has appeal. I didn't know about the Molina origins of the pipes, but it doesn't surprise me. Opportunities are everywhere. My version of this involves unfinished pipes by Savinelli.
While a appreciate the Savilinni and other higher grade/quality pipes, they're priced just over my budget.

Like my fountain pens, I try to keep it under $75, but if one comes along that I "just gotta have", it's not out of the question ?.

I have a new cob on the way, maybe, P&C are on my shit list with this order, and this Morgan, due to arrive in today's USPS. That pretty much blows my pipe budget for a while, and I need to concentrate on sampling more bakky ?.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The unfinished Savinelli used to be sold as seconds. The first one I bought as a basket pipe, didn't even know the brand. I've never bought one for over fifty bucks, and I think you can still find them for less than $75. They really finish nicely. First they just turn a matte shade darker, but eventually develop a polished finish. My best one is about forty years old. I never added any wax or polish, just buffed them with a cloth after each smoke.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
The unfinished Savinelli used to be sold as seconds. The first one I bought as a basket pipe, didn't even know the brand. I've never bought one for over fifty bucks, and I think you can still find them for less than $75. They really finish nicely. First they just turn a matte shade darker, but eventually develop a polished finish. My best one is about forty years old. I never added any wax or polish, just buffed them with a cloth after each smoke.
BINGO!

Just did a little more, refined search and found the Series III pipes selling for around $50!

Just might have to budget one in my nest pipe order!

Thanks for the motivation to do a deeper search!

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Hot Damn! Its here ?.

Haven't had a chance to fire it up, so just my first impressions...

I was a little disappointed in the packaging. Just a standard USPS padded shipping bag, folded over. Not much protection IMHO.

It comes with a drawstring bag with the logo. Nothing special here.
20210716_162514.jpg20210716_162538.jpg

Nothing on the stem jumps out. Just an ordinary stem, no artwork, logo, dots or diamonds.

This is my first sandblasted pipe, so I'm not sure if it's normal to be blasted down into the bowl, but it works for me, giving it more of a roughed our look.

20210716_163124.jpg

Standard logo on the bottom...

16264786360073937348925792411862.jpg

Aside from the roughness around the lip of the bowl, I only found two blemishes. The one down by the shank looks like a small knot and the other looks like a small dent or gouge, possibly from rustication.
20210716_162133.jpg20210716_162137.jpg

Overall, I'm completely satisfied with this fine looking pipe and looking forward to my first bowl, PS LNF, tomorrow morning when there's no wind ??.